Full Mantel

Beautiful. That's gotta feel pretty good. A great fit; design, scale, and color. The internals of the home speak to the period; existence of a porte cochere solidify it :) . I always enjoy that wide, stained trim for doors and windows. The stance on the mantel really anchors the room.

The mantle is beautiful, but the asymmetrical windows bug me.
Yep. They are what kept me from doing a full wall built in. The window to the right opens to the Porte- Cochere.
I should have expanded on this.

You can see in the pictures the windows on either side of the fireplace. The one that opens on to the porte cochere is on the far side of the chimney in the photos. It seems to me there is no reason this window could not have been the same size as the other. :dunno: The 'normal' size window on the far side of the screen door are in the library.

Note also the very high first step from the driveway. This is not meant to be used from ground level, rather from a horse drawn carriage or an automobile that has a much higher floor than todays vehicles.

These and many other pictures of this home can be found HERE.

1617116875540.png

1617116929222.png

That's quite the house.

Kind of cool how you can definitely see where some modifications/changes have been made over the years, sounds like the new owners are trying to restore the original feel more?

Gotta wonder what's underneath some of that old brown carpet!

The boss would definitely be unhappy with that large step haha. I'd have to Buy and E250 with a sliding door and runners and drop her off carefully at the step :D

Definitely a nice house. Very much like what I had pictured in my mind except, being from California, I imagined it with wooden construction. We are so influenced by our upbringing and geography.

sounds like the new owners are trying to restore the original feel more?
Pretty much - some improvements (my work :p) and some other areas. For instance, the sink in the library (what were they thinking) was not original and has been torn out and the deep cased opening to the dining room restored. He is fortunate to have the original blueprints for the home and uses them as his guide. Besides my work on the mantels he is installing a hex tile floor in the kitchen and a tin ceiling. Late this summer I'll be building a roll around kitchen island - A&C style with a thick maple top.

Definitely a nice house. Very much like what I had pictured in my mind except, being from California, I imagined it with wooden construction. We are so influenced by our upbringing and geography.
Even so - there's A LOT of wood. You probably noticed all the original red oak woodwork is all in tact - no paint and original shellac finish. The man who had the home built in 1913 owned a lumber mill. Go figure. :rofl:

I think the architecture is a bit of a mix. Craftsman details in and out but not a bungalow. More in the American four square category I think.

Been working on the over mantel. The column’s sides lean in at 1.5 degrees. That’s a pretty small number to try and hit with all the joinery involved. No matter how careful I am in cutting and glue ups ther is always a half degree or so variance here and there. Doesn’t sound like much but it’s enough to open a gap in a joint.

In order not to have to play micro manager over my miter gauge setting I laid everything out as it will be assembled. First I cut the cloud lifts in the horizontal members positioning them based on distance from the centerline. Then I clamped a spacer between them insuring the center lines align

The fronts are them clamped to a straight edge to insure they are in the same plane. Then I positioned the spaced and clamped horizontals centering them between the columns. Once everything is double checked I marked the cut lines and used the track saw to make the cuts. Perfect fit!

CFBE6271-06C2-4786-8D83-5D266FDF1694.jpeg56B790E8-8FEF-4235-89D6-B195CADAD4F7.jpeg2D14FE4B-2E3B-4619-A717-06D9A940CE1F.jpeg

Today's test fit went well. It is not set back all the way as I needed to make templates of the cove beneath the soffit that I need to fit under. that was the easy part. The hard part will come when I put the crown molding in as it also has to conform to this curve. Let's see, 40 degree crown into a curved wall... its starting to make my head hurt. I am very seriously thinking of hiring an experienced trim carpenter to fit the crown for me. It might be cheaper than all the scrap I would generate! :rofl:

Test fit
IMG_0991.JPEG
IMG_0989.JPEG

The dreaded cove!

IMG_0989 cove.jpeg

Cove.jpeg