Fun Working on the Car

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I make no secret about the fact that I hate working on cars. The first time my mom heard me cuss was when I was a teenager working on my '67 Mustang. I'd rather do plumbing than automotive work. I hate working on cars.

That said, a couple of days ago LOML told me the passenger side power window in her Acura RSX wasn't working. I told her it's one of three things: The fuse, the switch, or the motor. The fuse is easy, but the rest are a pain. So this afternoon she and I went out to diagnose the problem. First, I confirmed the window wasn't working from both the driver's master switch and the one on the passenger side door. Yep, it's dead, Jim. Next step is to check the fuses. Two fuse boxes, and each one had a fuse labeled Power Windows. The one under the hood was pretty easy to get to. Big ol' 40 amp fuse, and I pulled it out pretty easily. It tested good with a VOM. That would make sense, because the driver's side window was working just fine. The fuse under the dash (labeled Passenger Power Window) was another story. I had to contort my body in ways that'd make a circus performer proud, and that was just to SEE the dang fuse box. A bit more studying of the manual and further contortions allowed me to spot the correct fuse, pull it out, and test it. It was fine. More contortions later, I got the fuse put back in and replaced the panel cover under the dash. Makes my back hurt just thinking about it.

I'm starting to debate in my head which shop to take it to, because I really wasn't interested in pulling door panels on a 15 year old car, because that always opens up a Pandora's box of other problems. I decided to test the window one more time...maybe reseating the fuse under the dash fixed a bad contact problem. It was about then I noticed another button on the driver's door, right next to the window switches. It had a lock-looking icon on it. I pushed it in and it popped out 1/8" farther than before. Suddenly, the passenger side window worked like a champ. Doh! LOML had accidentally hit the window lock button. (She didn't even know it existed, lol.) Hopefully I'll remember this little learning experience the next time I'm trying to debug a non-working power window. Heck, hopefully I'll never again have to even try to debug a power window. I hate working on cars. :bang:

Last edited:
Understand about not liking to work on cars... first, I don't know jack about working on cars, second, since I don't know jack, would probably mess something up maybe beyond repair, third, working on cars gets your hands all dirty and greasy... I don't work on cars.... I joined AAA one week after I bought my first car in 1963 and have remained a member since.... my cars go back to the dealer or a qualified mechanic for any/all repairs 'cause I don't know jack about working on cars. :cool::D

You know, this would have been better if you had videoed accessing the hidden panel and posted it here.:rofl: But that part about preferring plumbing to mechanical work...I mean, come on..really??????

The new cars have all kind of buttons and switches which are easy to push and do something crazy. Had to take our new car back several times to figure out what we did wrong. Mechanics just giggled.
Should have said , fixed it again and let it go, then you could be man of the hour.
David

Just thought I come back with my store, just to make you feel better... Not a working on cars thing, but, my wife's car is a Toyota, 2009 Hybrid. It doesn't have a key, you just push a button to turn it on and off.. Usually I can get it started with not much problem, I do still try to find one place to stick a key that I do not have in.. But when it comes time to turn it off, for some reason I really struggle.. To this day my wife does not get out of the until she checks to make sure I have it really turned off. If I am alone,, I get out of the car and stand by it for a few seconds to make sure no buzzers or alarms go off, indicating I am leaving the car with it still running... My wife gets so discussed with this old fool that can't even figure out a keyless car, even though we have had to for over 12 years..!

I was a mechanic back in the 70's. Both Marine and auto. I will admit I also hate working on cars, and do not do it much any more. The big problem I have is that I have all the tools and I know how. I hate "trusting" any mechanics, and I hate paying for any work to be done.

I just replaced the starter in my 2004 Dodge Dakota. It cost me $125 total. Took me 1/2 a day cause I just didn't really wanna do it.

My new Subaru is going in for service Wednesday. NOT me doing it.

I sold some of my mechanic tools in yard sales and plan to cull out more.