G0458Z Surface Sander

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I stopped by Grizzly on the way home from the farm today. They showed these were out of stock, so I went to look at band saws, but when I mentioned the sander the sales guy told me they just got more in today.

2020-09-18 20.27.32.jpg

I used my adjustable height rolling workbench to unload it. Set it to the height of the tailgate, locked the wheels, and slid it off. 🍰
2020-09-18 20.14.23.jpg

I'm kind of kicking my self for not getting the mobile base kit now, but I think I may skip using the factory stand and just build a cabinet for it on wheels with storage.

BTW, still thinking about getting the band saw to replace my 12" Delta. The sales guy told me to check out the scratch and dent section as they get more band saws in there than any other tool, could save a hundred bucks or so.

+1 to the custom base, what you make will 100% be more useful than the stock base.

BTW, still thinking about getting the band saw to replace my 12" Delta

I think you misspelled "compliment" :sneaky: :rolleyes: A small saw for small stuff can nicely compliment a larger saw for larger stuff. If I was doing that I'd probably look at the 19" (or ..up but definitely at least the 19"). Fan of cast iron wheels, still like a foot break no matter how much Vaughn claims it's not useful.. I find it a nice safety and convenience feature. I like the 513X2 I have but there have been like 4 times I wished I'd gotten the bigger saw ;)

What you don't want to feed the sander is any softwood....it can ruin a sanding belt quicker than you can say "aww, poop!". But I want to second Ryan's suggestion about the "compliment" part. I had replaced my Delta 14" with a MM 16 some years back (a used one) and now kick myself in the butt for not keeping the Delta as well. I'm now considering a second BS. So if the space is at all available, it does pay to have the smaller one around.

What you don't want to feed the sander is any softwood....it can ruin a sanding belt quicker than you can say "aww, poop!". But I want to second Ryan's suggestion about the "compliment" part. I had replaced my Delta 14" with a MM 16 some years back (a used one) and now kick myself in the butt for not keeping the Delta as well. I'm now considering a second BS. So if the space is at all available, it does pay to have the smaller one around.
One of my better decisions was to keep the 14" saw after I bought the Laguna 16" (Shoulda gotten the 18", though). I keep a 1/8" or 1/4" blade on the 14", and a 1" Resaw King on the Laguna. That combinaiton has worked very well for me over the past fifteen years.

Looks like you're going to end up with 2 bandsaws!

Congrats on the sander. Looks like a wood grinding beast!

I'll offer another 'ditto' on the two bandsaw setup. My first bandsaw was a 17" Grizzly because the main thing I was interested in doing was resawing woods to make veneers. But, I'd need to change blades occasionally to do smaller, curved pieces. After ten years or so, I finally added a 14" Grizzly to my shop. Can't imagine doing without both of them now!