GASOLINE????

I calculated this morning that in 1970 I could fill the tank on my '65 Mustang for what it costs for one gallon today.
Boy I'm old!
Hey I had a 65 mustang also
This is the only picture I have of it
Elen and I were friends
One of her relatives owned the Lee Myles franchise which was a transmission place
Her cousin owned a franchise and had this 65 mustang that was raced and ran into a ravine and destroyed alot of the car
When the kid who owned it ran out of money and couldn't pay for the transmission the marshalls came and her cousin took ownership
He sold it to me for the 352 dollars the transmission rebuild cost
I put tires on it and had a great ride

Attachments

• DFB36A9C-97E5-4B4F-BC1B-F448A0C6F121.jpeg
    DFB36A9C-97E5-4B4F-BC1B-F448A0C6F121.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 18
how are people on fixed incomes going to survive? prices of food has skyrocketed as well.
Do like we did in the 60' and early 70's

TIGHTEN the belt.

I was going to do a couple of road trips this year, but not at this time.
I KNOW I am not alone in that decision.
Who suffers:
McDonalds - best place to stop for a trip to bathroom, walk the dogs, a quick bite to eat.
Hotels, Motels etc.
Tourist stops - some of those places make ALL their annual money in tourist season.
Gas stations
Convenience stores
Restaurants

how are people on fixed incomes going to survive? prices of food has skyrocketed as well.
It's certainly something I worry about. Those who are living on the edge of their income are really hurting with this inflation. At 74 I've seen a few inflationary periods (anyone remember President Nixon freezing prices/wages back in the early 70s?, then later there was the rise of OPEC) but never any as bad as this.

I never had nutin so nice. My first car was a busted down flathead 6 1951 Rambler that my dad smashed in a drunken stupor. I had to replace bumpers, fenders, do a valve job and fix broken engine parts. Next, I had a 63 Impala with a 283 that flooded more than started, then another 63 Impala 6 cylinder. All junkers. Never have a nice car in the early years.

Really the most new car is the one Subaru Forester I have now. Still a used car at 5,000 miles when I bought it.

I grew up on the poor side - checks came in the mail. I worked min wage jobs part time.

I never had nutin so nice. My first car was a busted down flathead 6 1951 Rambler that my dad smashed in a drunken stupor. I had to replace bumpers, fenders, do a valve job and fix broken engine parts. Next, I had a 63 Impala with a 283 that flooded more than started, then another 63 Impala 6 cylinder. All junkers. Never have a nice car in the early years.

Really the most new car is the one Subaru Forester I have now. Still a used car at 5,000 miles when I bought it.

I grew up on the poor side - checks came in the mail. I worked min wage jobs part time.
My Mustang was quick, but it was no show car, for sure. It was a bit beat by the time I got it - 1969 - I bought it for $500.

It's a matter of priorities. I already cancelled a trip for my great nephews graduation next week due to cost. But I don't get to be with my Grandson very often so I will save on other things. I will fill up before I leave and again before I cross over into California. I save all the points from grocery shopping and use them when I fill up in California. In that way I will only need to fill up once over there. Even so It'll cost me close to $500 in fuel costs for the trip. Through in another $1000 for hotels and this will be my last trip this year. Hopefully I'll be able to relocate up north before years end and that will put me a little closer to my son for future visits. But more on this later.

Do like we did in the 60' and early 70's

TIGHTEN the belt.

I was going to do a couple of road trips this year, but not at this time.
I KNOW I am not alone in that decision.
Who suffers:
McDonalds - best place to stop for a trip to bathroom, walk the dogs, a quick bite to eat.
Hotels, Motels etc.
Tourist stops - some of those places make ALL their annual money in tourist season.
Gas stations
Convenience stores
Restaurants

me and elen have been planning a trip down south for a year. We booked a house on the beach in st augustine florida for a week, and the kids are flying down to meet us that week. Its all paid for, we will be spending a month on the road....I will not cancel. Gas prices will hurt, but so far I havent seen any less traffic. since the warmer weather hit, the roads are still packed out here.
I check every week all the hotels we are booked at for our southern road trip, prices are steady.....15 % more than Id usually pay for some rooms, but I believe if people were cancelling prices would go down. hasnt happenned yet...hotels dont want to be empty in the summer. 5000 miles total. at 25 miles to the gallon(usually I get 27 when I clocked it last year), thats 200 gallons of gasoline. so that will run me 350-400 dollars more as of today. Not a reason to cancel my trip.
now, if they start rationing gasoline, or states make it known they are having trouble getting it, I would have to change plans.
right now we are staying on track, but already told elen I doubt we would be planning any other trips lilke this over the next few years at these prices.(I do have to be in nashville in november for a wedding, hope prices dont go off the wall insane by then)

My Mustang was quick, but it was no show car, for sure. It was a bit beat by the time I got it - 1969 - I bought it for $500.

I dont know anything about cars...but was told my mustang had a modified racing engine.....I do remember going 50 mph and then hitting the gas and almost burning rubber while going 50 mph
I started having all kind of electrical and engine problems and couldnt afford to keep fixing it so I sold it to a mechanic who wanted it and said he would fix it up on his own time.
I loved that car. Im sorry I never kept it especially since I sold it for next to nothing.

I don't think I had a pick of mine - pity. Worth a small fortune today. It was a 64 1/2 convertible. 289, 4 speed, 650 holly, headers, rally package.
Never owned a Mustang, but drove a leased one when my '64 Corvette was stolen out of the employee lot at San Francisco airport... loved the 'Vette...
Silver with a removable hard tolp, 4 speed, 327 with a Holly AFB carb, rated at 365 HP... also think it had some sort of race cam... it did not idle smoothly, more of a lope, but it would go... tried it out on the 405 out of L.A. towards Huntington Beach to see what it would do... at 125 I chickened out, the nose was rising and I still had accelerator left... but I did like driving the Mustang. I actually wanted to lease a Camarro at the time, but none were to be had for lease.

I agree Chuck. Best thing I did was to buy this Diesel. Even with the high price of Fuel I am still spending less per month than I did with my 2005 Silverado due to the higher efficiency.
An advantage of the little KIA Soul.... 12 gallon tank, 40 miles per gallon and not so much of a traveler... mostly to doctor and grocery store.

I calculated this morning that in 1970 I could fill the tank on my '65 Mustang for what it costs for one gallon today.
Boy I'm old!
Living in California in 1965 and driving a '59 impala, then later a '64 Corvette, my monthly gas bill was about the same as a fill up on my 2015 Kia Soul which only has a 12 gallon tank. Working for an airlines, commuting about 25 miles +/- per day and making about $7.50 per hour... my income was way less than what I draw on SS

An advantage of the little KIA Soul.... 12 gallon tank, 40 miles per gallon and not so much of a traveler... mostly to doctor and grocery store.
well the advantage to the New Silverado Diesel I get 34 miles per Gallon so I can go 600 miles before I need to fill up. Too bad my kidney can't do as well. Oh well maybe I can use the DEF tank.