GASOLINE????

It was .10 when I started buying it. Before that I filled up on the farm for .04
The good ol' days. My three buddies and I would all chip in $.25 and we could cruise around for hours.
but no one will be posting about how cheap gas is.
I will, if it ever gets back down to $2 like it was not so long ago.

I guess the $4.11 I paid yesterday at Costco wasn't all that bad compared to what some of you guys are seeing where you live. Stiull WAY too high, though.

This discussion reminds me of when we moved up here in 2006, as i mentioned earlier. At that time, people no longer greeted you with a "Howdy"; it was more like, "How much was gas when you came through town?" You couldn't talk about what you were going to BBQ this weekend - it was all about gas prices. I avoided a lot of people at that time!

The good ol' days. My three buddies and I would all chip in $.25 and we could cruise around for hours.

I will, if it ever gets back down to $2 like it was not so long ago.

you and your buddies chippingin for gas....brought back a funny memory, nothing to do with this thread...but funny and Ill never forget it.

my son, my son is very smart. As far as books and knowledge. Hes got an incredible career in IT

anyway, when he was in college as a freshman, he was allowed to have a car on campus only because he was a granted a presidential scholarship.

and like idiots, we got him a car, a used one, but a decent one.

so every few weekends, since he was only 3.5 hours away, he would drive home, and since most of the freshman he knew didnt have cars, the ones that lived on long island would ask him for lifts home and a lift back monday or tuesday whenever he went back up.

at that time, I was fully supporting him, besides some summer jobs he didnt have enough money to support himself.

one day, I asked him all the people he drives back and forth, he should ask them to chip in for gas and tolls.

now, this brilliant college kid says to me, Dad, I dont pay for tolls, EZ pass does.

When are we going back to the days of gas wars? Remember back in 1958 before I got out of high school we had a gas war in Waco...gas got down to $0.14 per gallon... a guy pulled in from Kansas in a tanker truck and told the attendant (before pump your own gas) to fill'er up... the attendant filled the gas tank, then the drive said NO, NO, file the tanker.... he pumped the station dry, drove back to Kansas and sold it for $0.28 per gallon. True story, was in the Waco Times Herald, which I threw for a year or so... my route covered the whole city of Teague....10 blocks by 12 blocks square.

Gas hasn't been cheap since the summer before I started driving. Went from 45.9 to 1.29.9 when I started driving!
You must have started driving later than I did... when I was in the Navy and station in California at Treasure Island... I drove home one leave.... filled up in the city at about $0.28 per gallon... then another stop in between, but when I had to re-fuel in Mountair, New Mexico, gas was $0.48 per gallon... I fumed half the way from there to Texas over being "gouged" for gas at that price.... back in the 1960's and 70's I started out driving a '59 Chev Impala with a 348 cu.in. engine, then traded up to my '64 Corvetter with a 327 cu. in., but with a Holley AFB carb and some upgrade that ran the HP up to 365 hp..... my monthly gas bill was about the same as what it costs now to fill a 10 gallon tank...

First gas I remember was .15/gal. You'd pull in, stay in the car, tell the guy standing at your window how much gas you wanted, then he'd pump the gas, check you oil, tires, radiator, belts, etc... clean the windshield and the windows, take you money, give you your coupons for whatever frying pans, glasses, or whatever, and you'd drive away..........

Kinda makes you wonder, what happened?

Alan

Last nite news reported some areas in Washington state are over $10.00 a gal for regular. Unconsinable.
Not true. There was a news report about a 76 station reprogramming their gas pumps to accommodate the possibility of $10 per gallon gasoline. I also read another report that this was not because they expected regular unleaded gasoline to hit that high mark but to accommodate the sale of 100 octane race gas which they sell to racing enthusiast that race in a nearby race track.