gavel question

Frank Fusco

I make a lot of gavels for organizations I belong to. They have a way of vanishing. I believe the outgoing chairmen think the gavels belong to them and keep. Oh, well, I really don't mind.
I have been asked to make another but the requester wants it from walnut. I have a lot of walnut, that's not the issue. Usually, my gavels are made from hickory, maple, ash or Osage Orange. I use these woods because of their strength. I don't want the handles to break.
Walnut does not possess the long grain strength of something like hickory.
What say the jury......would you use walnut for a gavel handle that might be only about 3/8" diameter at the most slender part?

Walnut tends to split along the grain a bit worse than some of the others you list in my experience.. I think it's likely fine but would look for a pretty straight grained peice for the handle part to mitigate that.

All the gavels I made in the past were done with pecan or bodark. I have no experience with walnut as none is around here. Just black walnut. But, if it is as you say, then Vaughn may very well be right. Just make the shaft a bit heavier, and it should be fine. Or, convince the requester to have a multi wood gavel. Use something else for the handle and walnut for the head.

I would think you would be okay with the walnut, unless the user hammers like it's a sledge hammer... but, like Vaughn suggested, would make the slender part a tad fatter.

I generally don't go below 1/2 inch on my gavels.

OK, I have struggled with this less than earth shaking issue for several days. Have finally decided to go all walnut. Most commercial gavels are walnut and others use it without problems. I will make a skooch fatter than planned originally. I have put more time into overthinking this non-issue than it will take to actually turn the gavel. Thanks all for the input.