Gear driven Moxon type of vise

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
A co-worker sent this to me this morning. It's a new "twist" on the moxon type of vise that uses gear sets to drive the screws from a single handle, and it's got two speeds.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2121995757/twin-turbo-vise

Price wise it's comparable to the chain drive ones.

One concern for me I think would be the amount of backlash that would grow over time with use and if there would be enough play to make one side looser than the other. At least with the chain driven versions, most have a handle on each screw to compensate for that when the chain is not completely tight.

Thoughts?

Hmm, I have a chain drive twin screw (lv) and yeah you have to tighten both sides if your clamping things cross wise in it. Having used it for some years I've slowly come to the conclusion that the idea of a super wide vise is wrong headed for most things. For stuff where you're working on the end of a wide panel it's not a horrible idea, but even a pretty wide one still has limited width between the screws. For most other things you'd be better off with some clamping setup that has better bottom support.

He might have resolved some of the backlash by having the handle to the center which drives both screws more equally than the chain drives do. I sort of take advantage of the slop on the chain drive though when clamping something that's a smidge uneven I can tighten one side then the other which wracks the vise a smidge and clamps both sides better.

It is an impressively built piece of equipment.