getting a home network

larry merlau

going threw windows ten pro. i want to access the shop puter threw my laptop and vice versa. before the up grade to ten i had it going but that all changed. i think i have ten on the laptop as well. shop is hard wired to the house where the wifi router is

I used to have a third party app for home networking that was a breeze to set up. Cant remember the name. Perhaps your path lies outside the MicroSoft world.

shouldn't be a problem Larry I am sure that Darren or Brent can square you away. I have the CNC in the shop which is a Win 7 networked to this machine in my office which is a Windows 10 machine. I design part programs on the win 10 machine and then go into the shop and use the CNC computer to get the programs from the office machine. I can access either machine from either machine just using the Windows setting. I even access the printer in my office from the one in the shop via the network. My office machine has a far bigger hard drive than the machine that I am using for the CNC so it makes sense to keep them on the bigger, faster machine.

What I've done is to just get a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device. It hangs off the network and I can access it from all my machines. I store all my files on that and can access it easily from my desktop and shop laptop. Makes it easy to remember where all my files are and where I should be backing them up from. It's on all the time and I don't have to keep my other pc's up and running to share files.

Are you just trying to setup a shared drive from your desktop so you can access it from your shop laptop?

brent, i have a desktop top machine in the shop and want to access it from my laptop in the house, checked sharing here and i dont see the shop machine and its ten pro the laptop is windows 8. and sharing appears to be on. what does airplane mode do on the laptop? i switched it on and it took out the wifi router
will check the shop puter out tomorrow

I also use a NAS, I actually have two, one at the house and another at the shop that sync data between them, but mostly for disaster recovery. When I started the family photo album project a couple years back, I realized that a lot of stuff was going to get lost if I didn't have it backed up well.

One thing about the newer Nas devices is they have a lot of server applications you can load on them for automatically syncing data to cloud services and running a local web server/database for software you want to run locally.

well checked out the sharing and it was set to private so maybe that was part of it but i got this when i was able to see one of the puters show up in the network here in the shop.

1586363367819.png

here Larry maybe this will help...you may have already done this but it is a check list.

• Setup and use an account ( with matching password) on both the client and the server.
  • Make sure that the account is properly activated on the server.
  • In Windows Explorer, right click on the folder in question, and select Properties.
  • On the Sharing tab, select "Share this folder" and give the share a name.
  • Hit Permissions, and make sure Everyone has full rights.

So are you using a password to login to the pc? And is the user id local or a microsoft account (do you use an email address as the login)?
out here i dont think i have to use anything but on the laptop in the house yes i need to login with email and password or maybe just password.. i dont like it that way but it is what is unless i can change it to the simple method

Typically I have the same username/password on all of my pcs, so as long as that is the case you shouldn't get prompted if they are in the same workgroup. If they are not, when mapping a new network drive, click the option to use the userid/password that is local on the machine with the share (your desktops userid/password).

The user name may require the computer name in front of it if it's a local account, such as: LARY-RANDI\Larry

I just went to the shop and fired up the Win 7 "puter" on the CNC and used it to access the Win 10 machine in my home office. I have full access and did not need to use the password that the Win machine uses when I turn it on so I am a bit puzzled. Have you made the files you want to access as "Public" ??