Gnomes

Ted Calver

Staff member
A few Gnomes for Christmas gifts to the Gnome collectors in the family. They range from 5" to 9" tall and are made from walnut, cherry and spalted maple and grey stained holly. One coat of sanding sealer then buffed and waxed. I made three before I realized they could easily be made into boxes, which I just drilled out with a Bormax bit...nothing fancy.
DSC_7854-C.jpg,
DSC_7853-C.jpg,,

DSC_7859-C.jpg
DSC_7858-C.jpg,
DSC_7852-C.jpg

Those are great, Ted! I really like the box idea...might have to steal that one. I'd like to get a few gnomes turned before Christmas, contingent on the new wheel for my Tormek showing up and the temps rising in the shop a bit.

if my fingers would warm up Id have a go at a couple of them....while I lack the required turn skills for small projects....I have the extra wood, and a desire to get out there and do something.
and they are so damn cute, adorable?
those are such a great looking family of gnomes.

would CA glue be an alternative for a quick finish

It would be fine I suppose although I've had trouble with getting a decent finish on pieces much larger than a pen with CA. It kind of sets up fairly fast and I always end up with kind of an uneven and rippled surface. I know some folks do it, probably a slower setting CA would help.

I might suggest some rattle can spray lacquer instead? That's a similar "feeling" finish and pretty easy and fast to apply.

It would be fine I suppose although I've had trouble with getting a decent finish on pieces much larger than a pen with CA. It kind of sets up fairly fast and I always end up with kind of an uneven and rippled surface. I know some folks do it, probably a slower setting CA would help.

I might suggest some rattle can spray lacquer instead? That's a similar "feeling" finish and pretty easy and fast to apply.
or perhaps some spray in Shellac ?

one question, if I didnt want to use wax or sealer, would CA glue be an alternative for a quick finish?
I've done the CA and BLO finish on pens using the technique at about 2:10 on this video. It might work on gnomes, but sanding sealer diluted 25% with lacquer thinner is so much faster for me and I don't have to risk gluing my fingers to something or getting bad stuff in my eyes.

Incidentally, I forgot to post this self portrait gnome.

DSC_7855-C.jpg
DSC_7856-C.jpg

Those are wonderful!! That has hit the list of assignments for my advanced turners next semester. May I ask what the "whiskers" are from/source? I love the idea of them being a lidded box for sure!
I've used fake fur fabric in the past. I've bought it in 2" or 3" widths at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I've used hot melt glue to attach it to the wood.

Those are wonderful!! That has hit the list of assignments for my advanced turners next semester. May I ask what the "whiskers" are from/source? I love the idea of them being a lidded box for sure!
Vaughn has it. Also Joann Fabrics if you have one near by. I ordered some of mine from amazon, which probably costs more but didn't feel like mixing with the crowds in the stores. Some was left over from my Alaska Salmon fly tying business many years ago. I Super glued the whiskers on but will give the hot melt a try. Buffing and waxing the bodies probably interfered with the super glue adhering and maybe even the hot melt. Next ones I'll wait to wax until after glueing on the whiskers.

Only thing that bothered me was the edge of the fake fur showing when the box top is removed. Doesn't look "finished". I'll have to ponder a solution to that. Maybe just cover it with a piece of grey yarn?
DSC_7845-C-C.jpg

or perhaps some spray in Shellac ?

I use shellac as a rub on finish on the lathe a fair bit, the friction heat "cures" it pretty quickly and you can get a nice gloss. the spray ought to be similar.

Ted, what about a small lip turned in to tuck the edge under? Yeah it would carry around but I don't think that would look terrible?

I use shellac as a rub on finish on the lathe a fair bit, the friction heat "cures" it pretty quickly and you can get a nice gloss. the spray ought to be similar.

Ted, what about a small lip turned in to tuck the edge under? Yeah it would carry around but I don't think that would look terrible?
Good idea. I think there's enough wood since the box is drilled with straight sides.

Vaughn has it. Also Joann Fabrics if you have one near by. I ordered some of mine from amazon, which probably costs more but didn't feel like mixing with the crowds in the stores. Some was left over from my Alaska Salmon fly tying business many years ago. I Super glued the whiskers on but will give the hot melt a try. Buffing and waxing the bodies probably interfered with the super glue adhering and maybe even the hot melt. Next ones I'll wait to wax until after glueing on the whiskers.

Only thing that bothered me was the edge of the fake fur showing when the box top is removed. Doesn't look "finished". I'll have to ponder a solution to that. Maybe just cover it with a piece of grey yarn?
View attachment 123124
when you turn base can you turn it with a lip on top naround the entire base? when you glue the fur push it under lip and edge wont be seen, it wont effect the overall look because the gnome has a hat