Gnomes

Cool gnomes, I wonder how would they look if they were female. The idea of being boxes is great.

I believe gnomes are like the legendary dwarves, they all look about the same and you can't tell what's what by looking and no one is impolite enough to ask usually.

Except dwarves drink ale and I suspect gnomes are perhaps more esoteric and shall we say "organic" in their choice of choice of intoxicants what with living in the gardens and under the hedges around the fields and all.

I was asked over the holiday if I would consider making Santa gnomes
So for next year I thought ok why not
I ordered some Santa hats and elf hats
I had no intention of doing any of it till oct or November this year
It's 65 degrees outside and I am in between projects with nothing to do
The baby is sick so he's not here and I decided to keep busy and figured I'd turn bases for the Santa and elfs
Because I didn't think any of it thru
I ended up turning all the bases a bit thick because I need to be able to tuck the fir under the Santa hats so the edge isn't seen
Now I'll have to remount the bases and make them thinner on top
One day I'll understand woodturning

It will be green fur for the elf's and white for santa
If I get ambitious I will make glasses out of bendable wire for some Santa's

Attachments

• 621674BF-C457-487F-A0E1-C5201150165E.jpeg
    621674BF-C457-487F-A0E1-C5201150165E.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 17
Off to a good start, Allen. One suggestion I'd make would be to make the bodies rounder (more bulbous). A common thing among novice turners is to be hesitant to remove too much wood, so they end up with straight-sided bowls and cylindrical spindle projects. Having more curvature adds interest to the piece, IMO.

Look at the body shape of this gnome, for example: