Good and sharp now!

Tom Baugues

This past week I realized just how much I had neglected my turning tools so today I took the time to get them all cleaned up and sharpened each one. I then sanded down the handles and applied some new finish. This was an older set of HSS tools I bought used years ago but they are solid tools so I hope they last many more years to come. I still need to make myself a jig to sharpen my bowl gouges though. The Capt. Eddie jig might have to do until I get something better.
3411cf31f022f2f9c19c97854ad44ec1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Good deal, Tom. :thumb: I'll second the motion regarding a jig to sharpen your gouges. A finely-honed edge is much less important than a good, consistent bevel on gouges, and a jig will allow you to quickly touch up and maintain that bevel angle. The only tool most turners really hone and make razor sharp are skews. The other tools are generally fine with an edge fresh off a 120 grit (or so) grinder.

If Cap'n Eddie's jig works for your no need to spend big dollars for a commercial jig.... that said I own a Wolverine jig/set up and love it... since getting it my tools stay a lot more usable and sharper... also spent the money for a CBN wheel which was a much better option than the old stone wheels I had....the CBN doesn't wear down with use, so the angles never changes. Before I got the jig and grinder set up, I used a small belt sander and while I could sharpen the tool, it was difficult to keep from changing the angles on the grinds... not a consistent grind ever....