Got me a No. 8 jointer

Alan Bienlein

I picked up a Stanley No.8 joiner and a No. 5 corrugated while we were out antiquing last week. The No. 8 cost me $20 and the No. 5 cost me $7. I want to get new blades for both and was wondering if the Lee Nielsen Blade http://www.lie-nielsen.com/lie-nielsen-replacement-blades/no.-8-bench-plane-blade/ and the chip breaker http://www.lie-nielsen.com/lie-nielsen-chipbreakers/2-5/8-chipbreaker/ will fit or do I just need to get the blades from Hock Tools?

A few pictures of my progress so far. The No. 8 is broken down and dowsed with WD40 to help loosen some parts.
001.jpg002.jpg
Here are the missing parts I needed I got off of E bay. The lever cap is for the No.5 and the lateral adjusting lever is for the No. 8.
003.jpg
I have the No. 8 in the electrolysis bath.
005.jpg006.jpg
And the knob and Tote with some sanding and a coat of oil. The rosewood sure smells sweet when you sand it!
007.jpg

alan hock is good but take a look at the chip breaker and iron setup from bmi i think its call at lee valley they are sweet setups but either a LN or Lee valley iron will work well, is that no. 8 a adjustable frog or solid setup? good price on both and nice wood

Here are a few more pics after taking it out and rubbing it down with a green scotch brite pad and olive oil. I then put it in the cedar wood shavings from my cyclone to rub it down some more and clean off the excess olive oil. The lever cap is in the electrolysis now.
008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg011.jpg

Larry the frog is adjustable. I have a No. 5 and corrugated No. 6 that I recently cleaned up and put new blades and chip breakers from Hock in those. I tried the Rob Cosman ones from Pinnacle but thet were to thick and I wasn't sure about filing the opening bigger to accommodate them. These looked just as bad as the No. 8 did.
002.jpg001.jpg

If you're going with the Lie Neilson blade assembly, they make slightly thinner blades that are specifically for the older Stanleys. You might have to call them for more info, since they don't seem to show up on their website any more..

well mr hock does make some fine irons i have a couple of them myslef.. as for filing the throat i can understand your thoughts the hocks dont require that but the pinnacle are a sweet setup if you do decide to do some filing:)