Got oak?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I need to make some corbels for the fireplace mantel as shown below. I've tried several methods of glue up and am not satisfied by my results. Either the fronts are mostly end grain with opposing grain lines or, turning the blank 90 degrees, the sides show the layers of the glue up like stripes on a sergeants shirt sleeve. Either way it just does not suit me. What I need is about two feet of a solid red oak 4x4. A bit of end grain will still show but at least it will not show the stripes of a glue up.

Does anyone have a chunk of oak they'd like to sell or have an idea where I might get one?

Corbel.jpg

should have a 1/4 sawed side..yes?
you could have glued on veneers to make them avoiding the end grain
Well, when I got to the store I found out that the description was misleading, at least to me. To my mind a "solid" 4x4 is just that, a single piece of wood 3 1/2" square. Seems that is not the case. Rather it is a 4 piece glue up. :bang:

IMG_0924.JPEG

IMG_0925.JPEG

So, on the way home I had an epiphany, I would veneer the sides like I do for table legs and change the orientation of the cuts to maximize face grain. Seems you all beat me to it. Don't know why I did not come to this conclusion sooner. :dunno: Feeling pretty dumb. :cautious:

Here's the plan.

The glue up with 1/8" veneers.

Corbel glue up.jpg

Orient the cuts to make best use of face grain.
2.jpg

Cutting this way will not show any of the laminations as the exposed ends will not be larger than the face of one board.

The finished product.
3.jpg