Gramercy dovetail saw kit

Hi mods, I wasn't sure where to post this thread please move it if you consider it so.
Some years (yes years) ago I bought the Gramercy dovetail kit. I kept it as I had other projects ongoing and forgot about it. Last week I made a major tidyng up on my shop and found it so I decided to make it.

I have some small pieces I cut from a pear tree that my FIL fell and cut into pieces as firewood, which made me mad when knew. So I took some of the pieces and they were already split and checked ( you can see it)so I tried to save as much as I could (I'll post the process later on).

In order not to mess it up I'm following the instructions step by step.

Planed the piece to thickness.
IMG_6312.JPG

Stuck the paper template
IMG_6313.JPG
Made the holes for the bolts and screw nuts that hold the blade.
IMG_6314.JPGIMG_6315.JPG
Rough cut the shape of the handle.
IMG_6317.JPGIMG_6318.JPG
Mark and cut the blade slot holding the blade between two pieces of maple of the exact half thickness of the handle. ( Here I should have made first the holes for the rib)
IMG_6320.JPGIMG_6321.JPGIMG_6323.JPG

to be continued...

Well guys...
here is the contiuation:

I used my bran new spindle sander to sand down the curves and get rid of the bandsaw marks.

IMG_6332.JPG

Then I routed the edges with a radius bit. I got some burn marks that tell me I should have used a slower speed ( noted down for the future)

IMG_6335.JPG

Sanded it and I could'n resist the temptation of assembling it. Note before these steps it ook me a while to adjust the rib and blade to its socket as I noticed a slight curve on the blade caused by a misaligment of the rib receptacle and the blade slot. (See further down)
)
IMG_6338.JPGIMG_6339.JPG

Mounted the bolts and nuts and sanded them together to make them level with the handle.
IMG_6342.JPG
Applied tung oil, and this is the result. Sorry for the flash reflection and the bad pictures quality. The real colour is like the picture on the right.

IMG_6346.JPGIMG_6349.JPG

Final comments:
THe are thing that I should have done differently:

Drill first the holes for the rib and check thoroughly its parallelism with the handle, by inserting the rib without the blade. I didn't do it and as it was slightly misaligned with the saw blade slot it created a bend on the blade, until I fixed it. The result was a not so good fit of the rib in the handle as you can see here:

IMG_6351.JPG

Use a slower speed on the router to avoid burnt marks.
Use some sort of depth stop when drilling the receptacles for the bolts as I made two of them too dep and I had to put a cardboard whaser underneath to raise them to the right height.

Thanks for watching

Came out nicely Toni :thumb: and you are already getting use of the spindle sander, great tool aren't they:) now lets see some of your great dove tails of yours!

Came out nicely Toni :thumb: and you are already getting use of the spindle sander, great tool aren't they:) now lets see some of your great dove tails of yours!
That's a different story Tom. I have tried the saw and feels great in the hand and cuts perfectly straight. One thing I noticed is that the blade is a tad thicker than the Veritas Gent's saws I have.
This is the Veritas saw
IMG_6336.JPG

This is the Gramercy one
IMG_6337.JPG

The measures are in mm. To me it doesn't make any difference, in a way a prefer it because the gent's saw are too flimsy when cutting hard woods.