Great Grandpa's Carvings

glenn bradley

Trying to kill a little time until my neighbors wake up before I fire up the shop. Recently came across these. My Father's Mother's Father. Dad is 93, Grandma died in her 90's, don't know about great-grand-dad. Certainly an example of a relaxing practice during rare idle moments from another time. The pen is just for scale. The pliers open and close.

Gr-Gpa-Black-Carvings (1).jpgGr-Gpa-Black-Carvings (2).jpgGr-Gpa-Black-Carvings (3).jpg

Great items to be cherished for sure.

I know my Aunt has a few items my gg- grandfather made. One of which is a chair made from willow , which has strips weaved for the seat, made mid 1800s.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Very cool, I've wanted to try the pliers for a long time. Those have a certain elegance though that indicates to me the maker was both very familiar with regular pliers and had also made more than a few of these. I'm somewhat taken by how he did the ends on the handles. It makes you wonder how many others he made are out there and what happened to them.

The spoon is also interesting, it reminds me of a lot of silver (or silver plated most often) spoons that were kind of common in the teens through the 30's, maybe earlier (I have a few from the pre-20's from family but haven't really studied them as a class). I'm guessing it was a copy of a metal spoon of some sort,

Glenn, Thanks for sharing those. The plier's joint has a specific name, at home I have the WoodWright's show dvr'ed that shows that joint being made. That is on my someday list and those to me are priceless.