Greene and Greene drawer pulls - in process

I like the voice over - seems to be better that way.
The voice over is a nice way to do it, but I think recording the audio on its own really shines when you get into multiple camera angles and want to switch between them. It's rare that all the cameras are recording at the same audio levels. So trying to keep one from blaring, one that is picking up too much machine noise, and one that the viewer can't hear you talking is a big challenge that dubbing over a good audio track can solve.

When I did the recording of Glenn's demos at Carols place a couple years back, I had two cheap action cameras recording and also used recordings from my cell phone. All of the audio is from my cell phone and at least is consistent level wise, but would have loved to had done a lapel mic at the time instead.

The little action cameras I have record in 4k and are great for video, but the audio isn't very good quality. They come with little remotes and I found one remote will toggle on/off all of the cameras in range, which makes for keeping them close in time work really well. Also for the price I don't have to worry too much if one gets damaged in recording. I need to see if someone makes a battery eliminator for them or how hard it would be to make one so that I don't have to worry about the batteries dying mid recording.

Thanks Darren. I will study all of this a bit later. Looks like fantastic info.

Right now I an trying to design a fixture in Fusion 360 using a Cam to lock in the work piece. Trying to get the cam and clamp to work together. There is something to do with Contact set. Vids on YouTube make it look like a 1 - 2 click and done, but it's not working for me. This is the fixture for the brass inserts AND the finger slot milling.

Thanks Darren. I will study all of this a bit later. Looks like fantastic info.

Right now I an trying to design a fixture in Fusion 360 using a Cam to lock in the work piece. Trying to get the cam and clamp to work together. There is something to do with Contact set. Vids on YouTube make it look like a 1 - 2 click and done, but it's not working for me. This is the fixture for the brass inserts AND the finger slot milling.
Leo is this where you having the Fusion problem, I'm no expert but am willing to give it a shot, do ya have a sketch and is it in the Desig(CAD)n or the manufacturing (CAM) your having the problem ?

Hi Leo.
Good job and good video, you're making them better each time.
Regarding the pulls, I know that you are still fine tuning the program, but if you pretend to make them in batches I would program the machine to make at least four at a time, rather than one by one. For instance you could take a board, make the insert holes for the four pulls first, flip it over respecting the zero point and mill out the pulls from the other side.
I do not know what is the normal procedure to program a piece. Do you program one and then the program repeats it in X and Y as many times as you tell it, Or do you have to program the four (for instance) together?
Please don't get mad at me, probably you already thought about it, and you know more about CNC than me for sure.

Toni, I would never get mad at you.

While it is certainly possible to program in batches, I prefer to set up for one at a time. If I sell these, then custom modifications will me the key to delivering in a timely manner.

My job as a Manufacturing Engineer was always to do "make vs buy" analysis. In doing so I would need to first make an analysis of in house manufacturing and the cost effectiveness. Then based on a marketing forecast fine the best manufacturing method. Then to do a subcontract source analysis. So that is just to say I do understand batches vs one offs.

If I ever get into a situation whereas I am asked to do a "real" manufacturing run, I would consider it. However, when someone wants to buy 2-3, or even a dozen, I can easily accommodate that.

If I were to make 4 at a time, I would simply COPY my one piece and PASTE in Aspire on a board, and cut 4 at a time. The time it take my to do that is maybe 5 minutes. Essentially that is ONE program. More than likely a customer will want 1 pull at 8", and maybe 2 pulls at 4".

So my process development is to build in the flexibility to customize and make on an as needed basis.

There is certainly more than one way to skin the cat.

When I worked on the factory floor, I often times ran machines that made one at a time. Even though at the end of the day I may have made several hundreds - one at a time - it was still high production. Even as an engineer, I would often fill in to operate machines. More that not, one at a time. So - one at a time - really is a viable process.

When I worked at Johnson and Johnson I set up a process to make "blanks" and but them in stock. When a doctor ordered a custom we would pull the blank and make the custom order. It did save time, but there is an inventory carrying cost.

For me - just a one man show. One offs is workable.

I figured out the hole making thing.

I took some video today of cutting with a Fusion 360 generated program. For a FREE CAD/CAM it is top notch. For me - I like Vectric better. Not just because I am more used to Fusion, but based on many CAM and CAD packages I have used Vectric is better at some things that make sense. If I didn't have the option and I needed free - Fusion has it hands down.

I will be posting the video on Friday. The adaptive clearing is really good. I like that feature. I do hope Vectric adds it to Aspire and V-Carve pro. I will support that in the forum.

So, here are a few stills of the fixture. The CAM is a piece of pine and I made it lase week. I will make a mew one out of Oak tomorrow. I did that program in Aspire. No reason to rewrite it.

Attachments

• GnG fixture-1.jpg
    GnG fixture-1.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 8
  • GnG fixture-2.jpg
    GnG fixture-2.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 8
  • GnG fixture-3.jpg
    GnG fixture-3.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 7
  • GnG fixture-4.jpg
    GnG fixture-4.jpg