Greene and more Greene

Yeah, the customer is always right - even when (s)he's wrong! :rolleyes:
Yep - the customer may not always be right, but they are always the customer.

I'll likely go with the toned down panels. Since the trim to be added will be the same wood, same finish, I think it will blend in nicely and become more of a 'texture' thing rather than look like something added.

I'm with you on the "less" panels. Dramatic figure is nice but as a background for the very-cool-looking trim I think it is a distraction. However, making the client happy is what matters.

I built the jig for routing the cloud lift detail on the front and rear end rails only to find I did not have a pattern bit long enough to do the job. Luckily Amana makes one with the 1/2" cutting diameter I need that is 3 1/2" in total length with a 1/2" shank available on Amazon with next day delivery. :bang:

IMG_1105.JPEGIMG_1106.JPEG

I spent the last couple of days working on the drawer for the sofa table. Tricky little bugger. The front has a curved bottom and joins the sides with proud finger joints. Fronts and sides are 1/2" thick cherry. The sides are grooved 1/4" deep and ride on hard maple runners. Because the grove for the runners is large and the material is thin I was not able to groove the sides for the drawer bottom (it would ripped the side in half). Instead I added a full length cleat to the bottom of the sides and a piece of trim inside the drawer to "add" a groove. The gap is 1/16" to match the door gap of the hinges I'll be using.

Oh, and I found a use for those very figured panels I decided not to use on the table ends. :)

Now on to the doors!

IMG_1118.JPEGIMG_1117.JPEGIMG_1116.JPEGIMG_1115.JPEGIMG_1114.JPEG

What is the purpose of the thin strip on the hinge side of each door?
I had two obvious choices for hinges - mortise and non-mortise. Both required some special consideration in mounting as the door is inset nearly 1/2" on the leg. A mortised hinge would have required (IMHO) a ramped mortise - something I've done on smaller projects - in order to 'bury' the leaf but still have the barrel fully exposed. Additionally, the mortise option has little or no room for adjustment.

The hinge I'm using is a solid brass machined non-mortise hinge in oiled bronze. The issue with a non-mortice is that the barrel 'wraps' the mounting surface (jamb side) and would not work with the inset. So, the solution is to add a 1/8" thick strip to the jamb side so the barrel has someplace to wrap around. I (and another member here) labored over this decision for a few days scouring the web for possible solutions. This seemed the best of all those, which were few, available.

After analyzing it since college I have figured out one of the things that draws me to G&G styled furniture. It is the complexity and harmony of the various surface planes and elevations. The breadboards a bit proud of the table top, the recessed panels within recessed frames that are recessed from the corner posts, the sculpted pulls and more.

While the strips solve a problem and caught the eye of our fellow G&G fan Robert, I see them as another point of visual interest. With the finish on and viewing the completed piece I think they will disappear into the blend of all the dimensional elements, planes and elevations to give you a very pleasing result. The hinge barrels in this case will only add to the whole whereas there was some concern about minimizing their role. JMHO and I am really enjoying this ride along ;)