Greene and more Greene

I remade the stile - thanks to those that pointed it out. It was bothering me as well but the input I received here convinced me it needed to be changed.

Still undecided about the drawer front. With the pull attached the impact is lessened. Also, much of the door panels will be hidden behind a trim piece so the conflict will be diminished. I sent this pic to the customer. Ultimately it is his decision.
Doors 7-8-21.jpg

Another vote to make the drawer front play nicer with the door panels but, the customer is always right. It's so easy to make these observations and suggestions when we are not the guy who has to remake the drawer front :rofl:

sitting here and looking at the picture I think as compared to the rest of the piece the drawer front does look too busy. you eyes go right to thedrawer and away from the rest of the piece so I would vote for a planer one. JMHO.
Another vote to make the drawer front play nicer with the door panels but, the customer is always right. It's so easy to make these observations and suggestions when we are not the guy who has to remake the drawer front :rofl:
The customer has spoken. The drawer front remains as is. Hopefully things will come together well once the finish is applied. :crossed:

Well, well, well.

Change orders are fun. The customer had wanted me to make the cherry REALLY dark. I tried a hundred things but nothing worked - you all know how hard it is to stain or dye cherry. So we came to an agreement.

I'll finish the cherry items and put them up for sale. In the mean time I need some Michigan chocolate and to get going on starting all over.

That lye solution I recommended a while back could make the cherry really dark - like hundred year old stuff.
This is how dark he wanted to go. Watched a couple of videos on lye and cherry. Nice color but don’t think it would have gotten as dark as he wanted it. I might pick some up and try it for future reference.
AC041034-942C-4DFF-B766-15F9EFA87D5C.jpeg

rennie, i would turn cherry dark like jim suggests. i have seen it dark from treatments like jim mentions,,

glenn, lodging is free,
glenn hurry up and get yur shop done and rent trailer here to haul your wood home. save some coin that way.
glenn we will have a get together for your visit to see many close by folks

rennie, i would turn cherry dark like jim suggests. i have seen it dark from treatments like jim mentions,,

glenn, lodging is free,
glenn hurry up and get yur shop done and rent trailer here to haul your wood home. save some coin that way.
glenn we will have a get together for your visit to see many close by folks
I’ll move forward with the remake in walnut since walnut would have been the customers first choice anyway. He’s thrilled with the change.

Glenn, you have to pass Bill, me, and Tom in route to Larry. You can pick us up on the way.

Walnut turns lighter with age.

I love Cherry and trying to make it THAT dark is - at least to me - a travesty. I would do whatever the customer wanted, no matter what, but I would not like it.

Walnut is a nice dark wood. I do love that nice dark Chocolate color.

There are other choices.

I have never seen G&G done in Walnut. Seems to me to be an Oak style, but my exposure is limited. It WILL be interesting for sure.

Walnut turns lighter with age.
I like an oil finish on walnut to bring up the color and accent the grain. Using a tinted oil, like Danish Oil Dark Walnut, can minimize the fading of that color over time. IMHO
I have never seen G&G done in Walnut. Seems to me to be an Oak style, but my exposure is limited. It WILL be interesting for sure.
Neither have I. This will be interesting.
The great majority of furniture designed by the Greene's and built by the Hall's was mahogany. Woodwork in the homes they designed was often done in teak. Remembering my visits to the Gamble house, and looking through my books, I can't find any examples in oak, walnut, or cherry.