Guess what...

Did not know that or ever hear that before. When I get older, I might look at the beginning of Star Trek and see if it holds my attention.
Star Wars is more of a space western than Star Trek, especially the first three movies. It's considered the king of the genre by many folks.

Star Wars is more of a space western than Star Trek, especially the first three movies. It's considered the king of the genre by many folks.

It was also heavily influenced by "The Seven Samurai" which was remade as an actual western as "The Magnificent Seven". The Seven Samurai is generally considered a Japanese Western (or at least derived from the western genre) so it's kind of a weird full circle... Westerns all the way down if you will.

"Western in Space" is a good description for "Star Wars". The first three with the original cast were more enjoyable to me than those that followed. After them I had difficulty following the story, though the movie graphics were impressive. I've seen them all.
"Cowboys and Aliens", though more of a conventional Western fits in the same category for me, and I enjoyed it too.

These are not at all like previous space movies, and certainly not like "Captain Video" shows of the 1950's. Of them, only "The Day That The Earth Stood Still" is worth watching, although Hollywood could not come close to what is being done in movies today. Computer graphics have made a big difference. When possible, I try to watch the 3D versions now too. 3D puts you in the middle of the action, though you are safe, except for the knee jerk reaction that will throw your popcorn and soda in the air.

Charley