Guest cabin

Pretty sure you'll be really happy having done this!

Gravel is definitely cheap compared to the rest hah. Having a supply of 2" base around to put on the main road after seems like a win.. I kind of figure if you're getting something like that you get a full dump truck load and if there's any left over put it in the "supply pile".

Walls got poured yesterday, we got back last night from KC. I was a bit confused by the height of the front wall. They are going to have to fill the entire box about 18” to get the slab in.

The contractor came by this morning and seems that they went back to the original grade of the old house. When they tore out the old foundation, they found a lot of buried trash, so dug it all out deeper to get to solid grade. It’s ok that they did, just could have saved some time/materials by lowering it all that 18”. Cost wise the fill is in the original estimate.

If they get the fill in, the plumber will come later this week and then they may get the slab poured by the end of the week.

The contractor and plumber are here this morning roughing in the bath, kitchenette drains, and main water line. The septic guy (the concrete guys dad) will be back after all the other trades finish and install the septic so that the laterals don't get driven on. Another load of gravel was just delivered to, which should finish the fill. Knock on wood, but looks like we may get a floor in by the end of the week to start framing next week.

Forms are up on the last wall, and they plan to pour the floor and wall tomorrow.
IMG_4028.jpeg

I'm starting to think ahead at mechanicals. We have a full bath and kitchenette, so planning for a 5 or 6 gpm tankless water heater, which I think is still overkill. I'll have the same 50 amp feed to here as before, which is too small to do an electric tankless water heater, so I've been researching tankless propane units. No stove, just a kitchenette with coffee maker and a small microwave.

The mechanical area is in the middle of the house, and we have a small niche my wife wanted for either storage or coats. The hvac will most likely be a central heat pump/propane and do an air return in the bottom of the niche to all 3 main rooms into the mechanical closet behind it. We'll have a small electric fireplace in the living room area for extra heat.

The waterline is coming from the main house after it goes through the water softener there. I may need to put in a booster pump, but will wait and see what the pressure is like up there.

And we have a foundation!!!
IMG_4048.jpeg IMG_4049.jpeg IMG_4050.jpeg

The deck piers are 4' deep holes and they added 6" thick 2' x 2' pads on top for extra footing.

They could start framing as soon as tomorrow, but hopefully by the end of the week at least.

BTW, I was looking at the form panels he was using for the walls and asked him how often he needed to replace them. He said he's been buying them at about $45 a panel for replacements (48" x 32"). I mentioned I had the CNC and he asked if I would be interested in making him some new ones if he bought the plywood. For the most part they are just cut on the table saw and then there are about six 1/4" wide by about 2" slots in the middle for the wall ties to go through.

He's going to leave me a panel to do some measurements on so I can figure out how long to mill each panel. He's interested in having enough for doing a 40' x 40' all at once. He'd like some longer panels for basements too, which are 10' x 2' with similar slots. He currently borrows those from another guy as there aren't any rentals locally. The corner panels are a bit more complex with the hardware on them, but it's just more holes and a mitered corner, which could be done on the table saw. Anyway, could be a nice side hustle and I may end up making some forms for myself.

The deck piers are 4' deep holes and they added 6" thick 2' x 2' pads on top for extra footing.
That is most unusual as I have never seen that. I have seen a poured footer at the base of a pier or a belled pier but not this. Do you have a picture of how they installed the rebar for this?

That is most unusual as I have never seen that. I have seen a poured footer at the base of a pier or a belled pier but not this. Do you have a picture of how they installed the rebar for this?
I didn’t get any pics, mostly a 12”x48” hole, a couple of L shaped sticks of rebar in the hole and some short pieces cross-ways in the form boxes on top tied to them.

Porch got framed, but noticed they were going to put treated 5/4 boards on for decking. My wife wanted composite, so had them send back the 5/4 and I'll get the decking myself later, as SWMBO wants to pick the color. ;)

So they finished up interior walls and stood up all the rafters this afternoon.
IMG_4183.jpeg

The porch area really makes the cabin look a lot bigger than it is. I'm probably going to regret not buying larger windows out the front. :)
41169B9A-6140-49CA-BD92-776BBF8A8151.jpeg

A few other pics of the rooms
8538E0D0-8B2F-4B91-B87C-B701892C3F50.jpeg
43CA21C9-C75D-4219-A8BD-CEB4003649B6.jpeg D9EE6FF0-A9C2-457C-9606-CE95EE8C84CC.jpeg A51AA938-EFB7-4EE5-BBE2-4F54A987F507.jpeg

It’s supposed to rain all day tomorrow, so they’ll be back Friday, then next week to finish up.