Gym floor and bleacher board combo

Our school is remodeling the gym. The floor was original to the structure (1974). Bleacher boards were also. I asked if we could have some of the wood for my turning class. Superintendent then asked me for some ideas of use of the floor and bleachers for specific past athletes. So I created three different ideas and created prototypes and between her and I we arrived at a fourth version of the three creations. I could not find my earlier post but if you remember me asking for help with creating a flat glue up, this is that project. Problem #1 to the glue up is I couldn't sand or plane it flat as the "patina" had to stay intact. Maintenance man originally cut out 5 2'X2' squares of flooring thus determining the size. Then of course he "forgot" to get the other needed 10. Had to create them from scavenged boards.

So, first things first, had to cut to size and square up them blow apart so the tongues and grooves could be cleaned (wire brushed by hand and via wire wheel on drill).

Exploded view.jpg

The rest of the boards for this first project:

Exploded view II.jpg

Before gluing, I wire brushed the tongue and grooves clean with both, handheld wire brush, wire wheel in a drill and a putty knife. Wood clamp was my stop block when wire brushing by hand.

Cleaning tongues and grooves.jpg

To continue this picture heavy thread, here is what my beginning clamping and gluing looked like before all of you educated me about a caul. This was all I could reasonably keep flat at one time.

Clamping before caul.jpg

Another attempt before being educated about cauls, their shape, use and ability to keep glued items flat.

Flattening before caul education.jpg

And now my education and use of a caul.

Caul in use.jpg

Notice the use of the wax paper between the caul and glued boards.

I did eventually do complete boards in one glue up.
2 halves make a whole.jpg

This is one of the prototypes I provided our superintendent with. Bull nose edges are edges from the bleacher boards. I cut a half lap so they cover the edges of the gym boards as well as frame the boards. This one did not have 45 corners, nor the bleacher bolts inserted.
Prototype without 45 corners and bolts.jpg

So the final version has top corners 45'ed.

Top corner view.jpg

Here is the bottom of the final version with a bleacher board and bolts included. Thought an edged board along the bottom would be redundant.

Bottom view.jpg

This is written on the backs of each completed product. There are actually 15 total. #15 won't be handed out, it will stay in the Superintendent's office.

Backside explanation.jpg

Thanks to you educating me about cauls, how to use and how to make, here is the completed version.
Completed, 45'ed corners, bleacher board and bolts.jpg

I did not refinish any of it obviously. It is large and HEAVY. The thought is, it could make a trophy "shadow" box. The new owners can do with is as they see fit, add a team photo, staple pieces of nets won through their years. On the bleacher board all the little brass tags off of their little individual trophies they don't display anymore.

Fina's children will be taking swim lessons for the next two weeks so while they are swimming I will finish the last 6 frames and be done with this project. Thanks for your help with this project. Learned a lot on cleaning up glue squeeze out since it was on finished wood. Comments always welcomed.

I have a stack of 4 foot sections of 9" wide and 11" wide by 1 1/8" thick straight grain Douglas fir bleacher boards that came from the college where my wife teaches. I have used a few of them but I haven't found a good use for them. I had forgotten them but this post is a good reminder.

Nice project and sure to be appreciated.

Cool project Jon! :thumb:e

Thanks, I know it isn't fine furniture, but the help received here made them so much nicer!

Very neat, Jon! I'm sure those will be very appreciated. :thumb:

I think so, some past players that don't live here anymore but went on to play at higher places have expressed wishes for a board from the floor or bleachers.

I have a stack of 4 foot sections of 9" wide and 11" wide by 1 1/8" thick straight grain Douglas fir bleacher boards that came from the college where my wife teaches. I have used a few of them but I haven't found a good use for them. I had forgotten them but this post is a good reminder.

Nice project and sure to be appreciated.

I have a stash in the woodshop of bleacher and floor. Just the scrap from this project will make each student a pen from the old gym for years!

Need project and nicely put together Jon! Guaranteed they will be treasured and hold great sentimental value to the recipients 👍

That is my hope. The prototype that is at the Superintendent's office I am bringing home and hanging in my shop.

You are so correct "they will be treasured and hold great sentimental value to the recipients they will be treasured and hold great sentimental value to the recipients."

I have not lasered or even made much of anything in years but I still get calls and emails about something I made a family that they again dug out and put on display again.

With many nice comments about the memories that brings back.

Little do they know but the memories also come back two fold or more to the guy who made the item.

Some years ago a friend was telling my wife about a beautiful pen her Mom got her Dad for Christmas years ago.

"You gotta see it". The look on her face when I said "I know. I built it." Was worth a million bucks to see.

I guess I am just an old softie but stuff like brings a tear to my eyes.