Hackberry Bowl

Dave Hoskins

This batch of hackberry seems to have a lot of blemishes in it. But, that's OK. Makes it look better in my opinion. The widest point on this is 12 1/2" and 11" the narrowest. The height is 3" with a depth of 2 1/2". The volume measured to the brim is 3/4 gallon. Did my old time sealing with walnut oil and the finishing with shellac. When you look at the bottom you will think there is a shallow rim but there's not. Just the coloring of the wood. You cannot feel any kind of rim at all.

Attachments

• BLHB93.JPG
    BLHB93.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 13
  • BLHB93A.JPG
    BLHB93A.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 13
  • BLHB93B.JPG
    BLHB93B.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 13
  • BLHB93C.JPG
    BLHB93C.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 13
  • BLHB93D.JPG
    BLHB93D.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 13
  • BLHB93E.JPG
    BLHB93E.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 12
  • BLHB93F.JPG
    BLHB93F.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 12
  • BLHB93G.JPG
    BLHB93G.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 13
Thanks, everybody! Chas, hackberry seems to be only in North America as best as I know. It is a soft wood and the trees can grow quite large with trunks 3' or more in diameter. They can be easily damaged with high winds, ant, you name it. But, it can make some nice bowls.

Thanks, everybody! Chas, hackberry seems to be only in North America as best as I know. It is a soft wood and the trees can grow quite large with trunks 3' or more in diameter. They can be easily damaged with high winds, ant, you name it. But, it can make some nice bowls.
Plus the wood spalts easily and has some nice grain patterns.
10-1109_0.JPG 10-1325_3.JPG
A couple of my Hackberry bowls... the first has a lot of worm action, but the second is more solid. I have one that has spalted to the point that it looks to be made from feathers, but can't find the picture right now. These two are from several years back and have been long sold.