Haida style carving

Hi guys.
During my forced ww inactivity I have become very interested in the art of the people from the north west coast of US. The Haidas, Tlingit, Tsimshian and others, I love their carvings and their depiction of different animals which are sacred to them. It was my intention to come over and visit their places, and at the same time pay a visit to Bill Satko as he´s near Vancouver.
As it has not been possible due to COVID-19, last august we went to stay for three weeks at my in laws, so knowing that we wouldn't do much but be there and stay with them so that they would not feel alone, I took some wood with me and I made this carving as a trial for another one that I want to make as a door.
The wood is bossé ( Guarea cedrata Pellegr.; G. laurentii De Wild ) I do not know its english name so I also put the technical one. It is a good smelling wood, and somewhat soft, but it has intertwined grain which makes it certain parts a nightmare to carve and leave a good gouge finishing as you get tear out no matter in whcih direction you cut.
Anyway, here is the result, next one is not going to be out of the same wood for sure. I finished it with tung oil. I apologize for tha bad quality of the pics.
IMG_6098.JPGIMG_6100.JPG

I always enjoy seeing your carvings, Toni. Magnificent work, as always.

FYI:
BOSSé CLAIR (Guarea cedrata)
TRADE NAME
Bossé clair
SCIENTIFIC NAME
Guarea cedrata Pellegr.
FAMILY
MELIACEAE
COMMON NAMES
Bosse (Côte d`Ivoire); Diambi (Zaire); Ebangbemva (Cameroon); White guarea; Tshidiamakeka; Tenumeadomei; Telemia; Scented mahogany; Penkwa; Pahiapo; Ossoung; Onwamdua; Obodo blanc; Obobo-nofwa; Nigerian pearwood; Nigerian cedar; Ngbose; Mbosse`; Lombe; Lofun; Kwadwuma; Guissu; Guarea; Edoucie`; Ebangbemva; Ebangbembra; Dzana; Duruiti; Ditoke; Diambi; Cedron; Cedar mahogany; Bossi; Bosse`; Bossassa; Bosassa; Bosae; Bonsannua; Belii; Anokue; African cedar; Edoucie (Cameroon); Obobo (Nigeria); Scented guarea (United Kingdom); Bosse (Germany); Bosasa (Zaire); Obobo nofua (Nigeria); Kwabohoro (Ghana)
SCIENTIFIC NAME SYNONYMS
Trichilia cedrata A. Chev.; Khaya cunahailata De Wild.; Khaya canaliculata De Wild.; Guarea alitipetiolata De Wild.

Awesome to see you back in production Toni.. Definitely will be fun to see where you go with this.

Have you played around any with any of the Haida style carving tools yet?

Very nice Toni. I think you have caught the spirit of the Houseposts and unpainted totem poles used in the past for people's common houses of the time and region. I find the soft flow of figures very appealing and relaxing to look at as well. Maybe you will start a trend in Catalunya of presenting these for births, weddings, new homes and so forth. I can see it now . . . Local craftsman provides Pacific Northwest art on commission. Retires wealthy. :)

I always enjoy seeing your carvings, Toni. Magnificent work, as always.

FYI:
BOSSé CLAIR (Guarea cedrata)
TRADE NAME
Bossé clair
SCIENTIFIC NAME
Guarea cedrata Pellegr.
FAMILY
MELIACEAE
COMMON NAMES
Bosse (Côte d`Ivoire); Diambi (Zaire); Ebangbemva (Cameroon); White guarea; Tshidiamakeka; Tenumeadomei; Telemia; Scented mahogany; Penkwa; Pahiapo; Ossoung; Onwamdua; Obodo blanc; Obobo-nofwa; Nigerian pearwood; Nigerian cedar; Ngbose; Mbosse`; Lombe; Lofun; Kwadwuma; Guissu; Guarea; Edoucie`; Ebangbemva; Ebangbembra; Dzana; Duruiti; Ditoke; Diambi; Cedron; Cedar mahogany; Bossi; Bosse`; Bossassa; Bosassa; Bosae; Bonsannua; Belii; Anokue; African cedar; Edoucie (Cameroon); Obobo (Nigeria); Scented guarea (United Kingdom); Bosse (Germany); Bosasa (Zaire); Obobo nofua (Nigeria); Kwabohoro (Ghana)
SCIENTIFIC NAME SYNONYMS
Trichilia cedrata A. Chev.; Khaya cunahailata De Wild.; Khaya canaliculata De Wild.; Guarea alitipetiolata De Wild.
Thanks a lot Jim! That’s what I call precise information!

Awesome to see you back in production Toni.. Definitely will be fun to see where you go with this.

Have you played around any with any of the Haida style carving tools yet?
Hi Ryan.
I’ve seen how they are, although I do not own any of the at all so I used my gouges, one of them ( I do not its name) looks bery much like a YariKanna japanese tool. Others are more like spoon carving tools, more like knives with bent blades.:dunno:

one of them ( I do not its name) looks bery much like a YariKanna japanese tool. Others are more like spoon carving tools, more like knives with bent blades.

I had noticed the similarity to the YariKanna/spear plane as well.. I kind of want to try the YariKanna sometime just to see how it cuts. I've mostly seen the mocotaugan knives used on round work for planing cuts but I've also seen them used inside larger work like bread bowls which makes me thing they might be interesting for backgrounding.. I'm not sure as I haven't invested in one yet :)

I think some of the pokey crook knives could be interesting for inside detail work as well.

I have noticed that the modern carvers also use a pretty wide array or scorps and various western style chisels as well.

I've kind of wondered how much the style is a function of the tooling and vice versa...