Handbreaker II

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Years ago, my dad gave me a pistol from his collection that I'd admired. After shooting it once, I realized why he gave it to me. It was a beautiful Smith & Wesson Night Guard, which is an ultralight .44 Magnum revolver with a 2 1/2" barrel. Because of the light weight and large caliber, it was absolutely painful to shoot, and I named it The Handbreaker. It'd be a great sidearm for fishing in Grizzly bear territory, but other than that, it had no practical use. I traded it to a guy for a guitar, and we both walked away happy with the deal we'd made.

Enter my nephew Jay. He's been a gun aficionado all of his adult life. He especially likes collecting unique and interesting guns, often in uncommon calibers. He also has a higher tolerance for pain than I do, lol. I've seen video of him shooting a .50 caliber Desert Eagle one-handed, shooting rapid fire. But one time when we were out shooting I brought the Handbreaker along and had him try it out. He shot 6 rounds with it, the came back from the firing line with a scowl on his face and holding it out like a dirty diaper. He said "That's messed up!" (Except he used a much more colorful term than "messed", lol.)

Jay is currently the manager of the gun department at the local Cabela's. As such, he gets to feed his collection addition with odd guns that are brought into the store for trade-ins. Tonight he sent me a text with a picture of his latest acquisition. I don't know the brand, but it's a single shot 30-06 pistol. It'd be useful for shooting a burglar that's hiding behind a refrigerator. At the neighbor's house two blocks away. :rolleyes: Or target shooting if you're really into pain. :D The text message said "The Handbreaker might have met its match!" :rofl: If you've shot a 30-06 rifle, you can probably imagine what the recoil on this thing must be. Here's the photo...

Jay's New Gun.JPG

I can't remember the name of that handgun, but it has (I think) a rotating breech lock and came in several rifles calibers. A colleague of mine, back when I had a day job, bought one in 22-250. His attraction to it was the fact the he was left handed and wanted something to pack on his quad to kill groundhogs. It was manageable in 22-250 (though not comfortable...his words; apparently the sound was worse than the recoil). In a larger caliber I wouldn't even want to be near it when discharged. Of course, that's if it's the one I'm remembering.

Back in the day I enjoyed shooting hand cannons. My worst one, a two shot derringer and the top barrel was for 45-70 shell. :eek: I bought it, I shot the 44 or 45 and 410's through it, but the guy who brokered the deal shot a 45-70 shell and claimed his hand was numb for a week. It was called an Alaskan Derringer.

You definitely wouldn't want to bring a knife to a gunfight with one of those...

Actually glad I'm not into guns... even a .22 rifle makes my ears ring, even with shooter muffs.... they ring anyway from all those years walking the
fuselage of the airliner jets back when I was a ramp rat and then a ramp rat supervisor.

Thomson Contender... my brother had/has one and you can several barrels for it. The largest calibur he has for his is a 30-30cal. I shot it with that calibur. It was not as bad as I thought it would have been, but a 30-06cal... I would hesitate to fire that. I don't know how many barrels he had for his.

Those rifle/pistols had a run of popularity. But , for the most part that segment of the shooting sports has faded away. Lot of reports of surgeons and dentists having to give up practice because of hand nerve damage.
I had and shot a Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum competitively for 30 years. It was heavier than the 2 incher you described. I found the way the grips fit individual hands greatly affects perceived recoil. Even with mine, when I loaded the heaviest bullets with max charges, all for shooting T-Rex, the recoil was very uncomfortable. One cylinder constituted a practice session.

Lol

Well it's not this

Nor is it a Thompson Center Contender...

Ahah it's ancient unobtanium
or
depending on it was made.

Here's something a little more reasonable. Say a 45/70 or 500 S&W revolver?

Apparently American Derringer made a 45/70 .. derringer.. now that's just nuts in my opinion. Apparently Jonathon had one, my sympathies to your hand!!

:rofl:

it's a single shot 30-06 pistol.

What . . . the . . . ??? Sometimes people build things just because they can. That thing is like a V-8 in a yard mower ;-)

well I did add one of these to my collection a while ago

Hi Don, I keep getting hot and cold feedback on the Judge from owners but, have not been able to get one in my hands to shoot. Having had it awhile would you buy one again?

Hi Don, I keep getting hot and cold feedback on the Judge from owners but, have not been able to get one in my hands to shoot. Having had it awhile would you buy one again?

I know you asked Don, but I am just down the alphabet a little, Jon here! I have a small group of .410 handguns. Since I have three judges, yeah I would buy them again. One was a truck/tractor gun, other two were bedside guns.

Edited to add: A nice video of the Alaskan Derringer.

I know you asked Don, but I am just down the alphabet a little, Jon here! I have a small group of .410 handguns. Since I have three judges, yeah I would buy them again. One was a truck/tractor gun, other two were bedside guns.

Edited to add: A nice video of the Alaskan Derringer.
Jonathan I remember seeing that Judge and thought that thing is a BEAST ! I'm just a rifle shooter I guess but like the comment from "Quiggly Down Under" Tom says: "I never said I didn't know how to use one"

I'll echo Jon and Don on the Judge. I know several people who are real happy with them. It's good for its intended purpose, and is priced reasonably. Taurus has a mixed reputation for quality with some of their models, but I've not heard or seen any complaints about the Judge. It goes bang every time you pull the trigger. Smith & Wesson makes a similar gun called the Governor. I consider it a bit higher quality in general (particularly the smoother trigger), but it's also pricier. And honestly, these are self-defense guns, not target guns, so the smoother trigger isn't all that critical.

Back in the day I enjoyed shooting hand cannons. My worst one, a two shot derringer and the top barrel was for 45-70 shell. :eek: I bought it, I shot the 44 or 45 and 410's through it, but the guy who brokered the deal shot a 45-70 shell and claimed his hand was numb for a week. It was called an Alaskan Derringer.
Derringers are about the most uncomfortable-shooting gun known to man, lol. I can't even imagine how un-fun a big caliber would be. :D

I have a .44 Mag S&W 629 with a dual-ported 3" barrel that's actually not bad to shoot. It's extra heavy with a non-fluted cylinder so the recoil is bearable, about like a .357 Mag. And if you're running .44 Special, it's more in the league of a .38 Special recoil-wise. (The muzzle flash is still impressive, though, lol.)

Ahah it's ancient unobtanium
or
depending on it was made.
Ah, that makes sense. The rarity explains why Jay just had to have it. :thumb:

to quote a famous guy named Wilson "I'm reminded of a time" back in high school several of us used to go out to the desert plinking. One of our group got a .44 magnum pistol and he got it with a scope. Well we all lined up to watch him shoot it the first time and he got down in a two handed shooting position his legs bent at the knees and both arm on the weapon centered in front of him, pulled back the hammer and squeezed the trigger. Next thing you know he's sitting on the ground dazed with the hand gun in his lap and both hands on his forehead. When we got him to lower his hands he had a nice ring about the size of the scope eye piece right in the middle of his forehead.

Derringers are about the most uncomfortable-shooting gun known to man, lol. I can't even imagine how un-fun a big caliber would be. :D

I have a Bond Arms 45LC/.410 derringer. It is very snappy and you had better have a hold on it. It came with cocobolo grips which I found to be too slick. I exchanged them for rubber grips and it is more comfortable and easier to shoot. I keep a .410 4/0 buckshot shell in the top chamber and a 45LC JHP in the lower chamber.
The reason I shot the 45LC in the lower chamber is because I found I was more accurate when shooting the lower chamber. I don't know why but it seems I can control the little gun better when shooting the lower chamber.

By the way, I am a large man I have small hands and have no trouble gripping a weapon like this normally. It is the other way around in reverse; I have trouble gripping weapons with large grips. I have to obtain slim grips for all my pistols to make them comfortable.

Bond Arms.jpg