hard maple with hidden defect.

Keith Thomas

I did a glue up of some maple for a drawer front. the wood looked fine. I did the glue up and then when it was ready I started to trim it to size. I was squaring up one side with a 1 inch cut. At first I thought my glue failed but then realized
it was the wood. it just snapped in 2. so I made another 1" cut and looked it over. could not see any crack but when I stressed it , it snapped in the same place. so did the next 2 cuts but I cant see anything wrong with the board. By matching up the board to the cut pieces to see where the weak spot is I "think" I can just barely see a crack on one side. But its so slight I'm not even sure. There was no obvious check in the plank it came from. it is really dis-heartening. It is the worst batch off maple I ever had to dig through to get wood. the shop said the price keeps going up and the quality down.

Attachments

• IMG_3932.jpeg
    IMG_3932.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3933.jpeg
    IMG_3933.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 40
I think I see some paint on the ends of some of those boards - the ends of the boards as they came from your supplier? The ends will often check or crack in the drying process so it is a good practice to always cut off the first 2 to 4 inches and inspect the ends for defects. DAMHIKT :censored:

I think I see some paint on the ends of some of those boards - the ends of the boards as they came from your supplier? The ends will often check or crack in the drying process so it is a good practice to always cut off the first 2 to 4 inches and inspect the ends for defects. DAMHIKT :censored:
yes. all the wood at this supplier has a painted end. The end with the paint was trimmed off when I squared the panel I did cut it close but was only going to square it up and decide how much to take off each end after I trimmed it for width. I think it was over a foot was bad. . But there was no visible check in the board when I glued it up. thats what surprised me. and the crack I think I saw after the fact was only on one side and very hard to see.

yes. all the wood at this supplier has a painted end. The end with the paint was trimmed off when I squared the panel I did cut it close but was only going to square it up and decide how much to take off each end after I trimmed it for width. I think it was over a foot was bad. . But there was no visible check in the board when I glued it up. thats what surprised me. and the crack I think I saw after the fact was only on one side and very hard to see.
Yep, they can seemingly come out of nowhere. I understand your approach, you were going to trim it off anyway, been tempted to do that myself a few times. Experience has taught me to always take off a few inches first to inspect the ends. Those checks can be mighty hard to see in the rough cut painted end.

They said the quality has been going down hill. I think the mills are just pushing out what they can with out much concern.
The other dynamic that's going on is that retailers cannot restock like they used to. Typically, when a 500 board foot unit goes on the floor, the first 300 to sell is the best of it. Now, instead of replenishing, the tail-end is left languishing on the shelves. I don't blame them -it's better to have something on the shelf than a goose egg, but still...
As best as I can tell, the grade isn't being pushed at the sawmill level 🤷‍♂️