Health

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
Just back from kidney stone surgery. What fun!

Had a stone completely blocking passage from kidney to bladder. Wouldn't have been critical, except I only have one working kidney.

Spent night before last in the ER - IV, Cat scan, Ultrasound, pain meds, etc. Went straight from there to the Urologist's, who said "Surgery! ASAP!" ASAP was first thing this morning. Catheterization, laser probe to blast the stone and vac it out, then a temporary stent to open the collapsed tube. Cath is still in - until tomorrow - and stent for a couple weeks.

Seems fixed, but sure not an enjoyable experience.

Been there, done that, three times. Not quite as serious (I still have both kidneys) but remember the pain, probes and stents very well. Hated having the stent removed.

Hope you have a complete recovery! Jan and I are pulling for you.

I feel for you! I've lost track of the number of lithotripsy procedures I've had. The only good part about the whole thing is waking up and finding that the intense pain is gone!:)

Sorry you had to go through this, Jim and glad you're on the other side of the pain.

My stones have been fairly small and are always accompanied by pain, nausea and near non-stop dry heaves, which turn into not so dry heaves. I keep a supply of high test pain and anti-nausea meds on hand to help handle the inevitable next one and help me get to the ER.

Bit of a setback. Went in to have the catheter removed this morning, and was told it appeared that there was excessive bleeding, so now I'm stuck with the catheter until Monday. Disappointing, for sure!