Help ID this wood (mid 1800's spinning wheel part)

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
A fellow spinning wheel enthusiast has been restoring a mid 1800's wheel we believe is from the mid 1800s probably north eastern US origin based on some construction details. One of the pieces was well past saving structurally so it was sacrificed for the greater source of knowledge and we have a couple of cross sections of if.

The flecking is distinctive, the growth rings are HUGE (and it's not ring porous), it's relatively hard (although age might play some role in that..), and pretty fine grained. Note that the finish or stain that was on it almost didn't penetrate at all either and did so very evenly..

Any theories?

wood1.jpeg

wood2.jpeg

wood3.jpeg

Beech it probably is! I've passed on the news. Thanks all.

That was one of the top guesses over there as well, with also a few votes for sycamore and possibly some sort of hornbeam or hophornbeam but Beach being common and a good match seems most likely.

Boy I wish..,

Goes back to looking at real estate listings in HI...

I wonder if it could be one of those woods which "bugged" out over the years due to disease or infestations.

Maybe, but I thought the grain on Am Chestnut was more striated and less flecked... These are all woods I've rarely seen or used :). Although I DO have a couple nice beech slabs they're european and steamed and therefore a bit more even in grain...

1672954823382.png

1672954852138.png