Houston, We have a project!

Iye Captain it's the balance of the humbuckers that's the problem. The humbuckers must be balanced & grounded some way. In that last run in with the Cardassians we depleted our gold & aluminum reserves trying to keep our shields grounded.. Without grounding I'm afraid the Humbuckers will be bucking & humming all over the galaxy & no amount of hearing protection will be safe although we may be able to use noise cancellation of turning on the asteroid dust collecting system, or dragging along behind a that space sled of lumber LCDR Dowell plans to make into a dining table some day.

Humbuckers? You still use humbuckers? Why not just wire the gimcracks direct to the helical coil and feed them both to the horizontal channel feed? Er, did I get that right?

As long as they are piezo gimcracks, then yes, they can be wired directly to the helical coil and fed to the horizontal channel feed. But if they are the more common ferro-magnetic gimcracks, you must first run a buffer pipe to the alternator pot, generally in the 632 mHz range, to avoid overloading the strap locks. It's really pretty simple. ;)

Al, there will be a quiz later.

As long as they are piezo gimcracks, then yes, they can be wired directly to the helical coil and fed to the horizontal channel feed. But if they are the more common ferro-magnetic gimcracks, you must first run a buffer pipe to the alternator pot, generally in the 632 mHz range, to avoid overloading the strap locks. It's really pretty simple. ;)

Al, there will be a quiz later.

I suspect you are leading me up the proverbial tributary without the customary means of transportation. :huh: :doh:

I suspect you are leading me up the proverbial tributary without the customary means of transportation. :huh: :doh:

I don't care what Brent says about you, you're pretty sharp, Al. :D

OK, for the non-guitar people out there, here's a very simplified explanation...

The first electric guitar pickups (the part that captures the string's vibration and sends it to the amplifier) were basically a coil of wire wrapped around one or more magnets - usually one magnet under each string. They looked something like this:

p2448.jpg

These worked, but it was soon discovered that they also picked up a lot of interference from nearby electrical devices, causing a bad hum. At some point, it was discovered that by putting two single coil pickups together, winding one coil in one direction and the other in the opposite direction, the hum problems largely went away. These double coil pickups were called humbucking pickups, later shortened to 'humbucker'. Here's a typical humbucker:

dp156bk_0.jpg

The two types of pickups have different tonal qualities, and both are popular. In general terms, most Fender guitars have a 'single coil sound' and most Gibson guitars have a 'double coil sound'. The pickups Brent is putting in his new guitar are humbuckers, but they are wired in such a way as to allow him to disable one of the coils, so he can switch between a 'Fender' sound and a 'Gibson' sound. However, when he's running the pickups in single coil mode, they'll be susceptible to electrical interference, but adding foil shielding to the hollow cavities in the guitar will help reduce the hum.

At a company I worked for back in the '90s doing truck conversions for dealerships, we did a Dodge truck with that paint. Back then it cost us $400.00 a gallon, and the truck took 2 gallons. Can't imagine what it costs now. There were 2 versions, the one you showed that was the green/gold, and the other was a blue.violet-red. Both were really cool. If you want strips and have the money, do a base coat of one, lay out your strips and to a top coat of the other!!! Jim.

Nope, Still not satisfied with the prep work. Have done a couple of rounds of sealer and then sanding. Getting ready to paint though. Need to go pick up some primer tomorrow.

Got it all sanded down.
20140426-IMG_0760.jpg

Got started on priming it, but there are a few areas where I apparently didn't do a good enough job sanding.
Oh well, will let this dry, sand it a bit in the affected places and shoot some more primer.
20140426-IMG_0770.jpg

Now we have an issue. Started to shoot some color on the guitar and I got this weird blistering/crackling thing going on in a few places.

It did not happen on the headstock, or everywhere, but just in some places.

Guess I need to strip it back down and start over, but I wonder what caused this?

Any ideas?

20140427-IMG_0777.jpg

It had dried for a couple days.

Going to strip things down, reprime and let it dry out fully and try again.

It had dried for a couple days.

Going to strip things down, reprime and let it dry out fully and try again.

I'd sure think a couple of days would be plenty. Might be a good idea to start a new thread in the Finishing section to see if any of the resident experts will chime in. :dunno:

Were you spraying outside in direct sunlight? Had something similar happen to me few years back, paint was drying too fast...

It was cool to watch it develop and grow across the top.

looks like a reaction to the finish underneath, like a lacquer to a enamel reaction.

Could be. Let me double check the paint types.

Worked fine on the headstock and most places on the guitar though.

I did do a bunch of wet sanding, so maybe some residual moisture got trapped under the primer?