How do I get lacquer finish off table legs

allen levine

I took legs off of what I thought was solid maple table only legs were solid
The smaller pine legs I'm ok with sanding as I've had them years and I took off most finish
The longer legs I thought mounting on lathe and sanding would be easy but not so
Are there any type of chemical strippers like paint removal that will make this an easy task?
Don't want to purchase anything unless I have a clue it will work
Legs will be painted

Attachments

• BD1B7BCC-7A00-476B-9351-5F38C058E405.jpeg
    BD1B7BCC-7A00-476B-9351-5F38C058E405.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 9
  • DABCA018-3CA6-4C5A-950C-874F63084557.jpeg
    DABCA018-3CA6-4C5A-950C-874F63084557.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 9
If they'll be painted what about just painting over the top of the lacquer? If you're concerned about adhesion of the paint, give them a coat of dewaxed shellac first (Zinnser Seal Coat). But if you paln to strip, I know a stripper with methylene chloride will remove it...I'm less sure you can find any of it.

Shellac is the "great go-between" for finishes. It sticks to literally everything, and in turn pretty much everything sticks to it. But it has to be the real stuff, some of zinnser's products are now labeled "shellac substitute" or something like that. Yet they still call them shellac.

If i was doing it, I would probably use the shellac primer (Zinsser BIN, again, the real stuff). That would give you the adhesion and provide the primed surface. I should have mentioned, if you suspect the legs may have some silicone contamination (furniture polish like Pledge) be sure to clean them as thoroughly as possible. The shellac will seal the silicne, but ther's no use tempting fate. If you want to use the Seal Coat I fiirst mentioned, yes apply it, and then prime. The primer would be to install a more even color with the color coat.