How long to wait?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I just applied my last coat of Mohawk Rock Hard solvent based varnish to the two dining tables. I'm thinking a wet sand with either mineral spirits or water with some insanely high grit pads will be in order. Just wondering, how long should I wait prior to the sanding? I'm thinking 72 hours. Will the varnish be hard/cured enough at that time?

Finish curing is also quite dependent on temperature. Finishes in my neck of the woods cure very quickly during the warmer months and take a long time when it is cool. And I am speaking of curing I am referring to the time when the finish is at its maximum hardness.

I have used MS as a lube before, never noticed effect on a cured finish, but your point is well taken. Seems logical. My thought was once cured it would be resistant, if not impervious to the solvent, but, better safe than sorry.

This is sort of hindsight info :( . When I am working with a finish I am not real used to I finish a test board at the same time I finish the piece. When the test board gives me nice powdery spoil when I test-sand I am pretty confident that the main piece is ready.

Easier way to do would be to brush 1st coat on 50/50 2-3 coats , brush the finish out so there is no sagging. Then you can wet sand each coat. Then brush out full coats 2-3
Light wet sanding each day. Finial coat brush and buff the finish. We use a orbital sander with a fine white 3M pad & Comet and Turpentine to buff. Then apply a wax finish

Last edited:
What did you end up doing Rennie ?
I wet sanded with water with 2000 grit. Was not happy with the sheen and scratch pattern so I went to the auto parts store and picked up some super fine polishing compound. Using a slow speed buffer I applied that then buffed it out by hand. After a couple of coats of wax I had a beautiful, even glossy finish that I was very happy with.

IMG_1672.JPEGIMG_1653.JPEG

I just applied my last coat of Mohawk Rock Hard solvent based varnish to the two dining tables. I'm thinking a wet sand with either mineral spirits or water with some insanely high grit pads will be in order. Just wondering, how long should I wait prior to the sanding? I'm thinking 72 hours. Will the varnish be hard/cured enough at that time?
Screenshot 2022-04-18 111444.jpg