How many bowls

Chuck Ellis

We had a rain and wind storm a few days back and this tree was leaning a bit naturally, then the root ball gave way.. the top caught in another tree... another rain storm and this was the results... the base is nearly 2' diameter maybe bigger, haven't measured yet and the trunk is at least 35-40 ft... I think I can cut it up over the next few weeks... it will be tricky up towards the top, but the trunk is actually on the ground near the root ball.
The tree is called a cedar locally, not sure that it is... it has small cones near the top. Going to have to take my book of trees out and do some research.20230326_151909.jpg

Quite a few! If it's an eastern red cedar that's a lot of pretty wood to! If it's an eastern red the buttressing wood at the bottom ought to have a lot of figure as well..

My big concerns with trees in that situation are:
  • it's up pretty high so there's some risk of it rolling if the root anchor is removed or the balance is changed
  • those limbs underneath are under a lot of tension and can spring back pretty badly if cut wrong
  • the trash tree underneath could be in tension and cause some amount of havoc if the weight changes or if not it's a flip/slide point when the big tree is unanchored anyway.
Luckily you're taking it out in relatively small pieces (as these things go) and it's on fairly flat ground so shouldn't be to bad. Just take it slow and keep an eye on the main body for rolling and avoid trying to cut the under limbs to much if they're sprung real hard.

After a little more research, don't think it's a red cedar, more likely one of the varieties of pine we have here...

The top isn't supported by the upper limbs... the base appears to be on the ground and the top is suspended by the weight of the base... I'll start at the top and probably cut from the other side of the tree since it will be up hill side. I have an electric pole saw that can cut a number of the limbs without me getting too close.

Definitely not a cedar as I know it. Either red or mountain. Barks all wrong. If it's in the pine family, I can't help ya there. Don't fool with pine. But definitely watch for rolling or shifting.

Definitely not a cedar as I know it. Either red or mountain. Barks all wrong. If it's in the pine family, I can't help ya there. Don't fool with pine. But definitely watch for rolling or shifting.
Already decided I'll cut from the other side of the tree... it lays on a slope and all the pictures are from the downhill side... this will/may wind up in the burn pile.
Which fortunately is very close by.