How NOT to Do It

Where did you get those pictures of my last project????? I think beavers would be more precise. I wonder what did the person use to cut such " fine" angles.
David

was asked to help on a job once that the original hack was needing help.. i told the landowner its him or me becasue what he has done is wrong and bad, had to confront him the hack and i told him to do his part and i would do mine he finally got told to leave becasue i didnt give in people like that make it bad those of us who do it right

I'm no expert in wood construction but I have two thoughts. If the guy is doing it himself and he cannot make it better due to its lack of tools, expertise or common sense I can accept it to a certain point. One cannot be forced to do more than he's able to do ( although should try to push his limits or get help).
But if this is the work of a professional builder then I think I would sue him straight away.

A third thought: Maybe he did it to allow for wood movement... ;)

I'm afraid there may be a lot of construction just like that. Once covered up, who knows? (unless it falls down) In many states there is no inspection during construction by the owner. In my area only licensed contractors get their work inspected.