How NOT to Surprise Your Boss

After I read this article, I decided to check and see what kind of seat the Rafale had. Sure enough it's a Martin-Baker. I spent most of my time sitting on an ACES-II seat so I had to look up the MB seat. Between the occupant's legs is the ejection handle. It looks like the upper handles with the face curtain common on older MB seats has been eliminated in this one. I have a feeling this guy just grabbed onto something to hold onto and that's what he found first. Here's a link so you can get a look at it: http://martin-baker.com/products/mk16-ejection-seat-for-rafale/

I flew A-7s that the AF got from the Navy early in my career. I always wanted to do just one Cat Shot. Didn't want to make a habit of it.

First you'd need to bring the bird aboard using the fan tail & round down cable retention system & that round down can be almighty unforgiving. Once saw a F4 round down strike, never wanted to see another. Ripped off the right landing gear the right wing fold & tail hook. brought him around into & through the barricade & off the angle deck both seats popped, pilot / B/N seat separation. Propwash pulled them under lost both. This was at dusk the barricade looked like toilet paper scattered all over the deck.

Ninth Air Force at Shaw 76-79. Used to TacEval/IG/Staff Assist y'all at the 23rd TFW. o_O
Yeah you were from 9 AF and were there to help and we were glad you came - ok lies out of the way.

I did a touch and go a 9 AF in 83. Got a humanitarian reassignment to the east coast from Nellis. Spent 9 months in the training shop and then moved down to the wing because they needed someone who was desperate enough to go to Flight Safety school.