How would you do this? Footstool - complete

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I'm working on the design for a footstool for a client. He'd like me to match the legs of his antique chair - see pic. Only difference, the footstool leg will not be angled at the end as the chair is. I'm guessing there might be a combination of router bits that would get me there, but not sure which ones.

Foot close up.jpg

Last edited:
I would look to some 'handrail' bits, architectural trim, or Crown molding bits. I didn't quickly find a perfect match but the links and search terms will give you the idea. If there are only 3 or 4 legs removing some bulk by some machine method and rasping will certainly get you there. Bits targeting box sides or box feet have some interesting shapes as well.

I'd drill the concave with a Forstner bit, then shape the rest with chisels, rasps, and sandpaper.
I agree. Layout the profile on each face and using a bandsaw, backsaw and/or chisels, remove as much as the waste as you can and then finish the shaping with rasps and sandpaper. It is how you would shape a Cabriole leg. I suggest you look at Gramercy Tools. You will want some cabinetmaker rasps and maybe a rat tail. They will help you out if you are unsure what grain or size of rasp you need or give me a PM and I can let you know what I have used.

1652885102299.png

I did something similar a while back (a while back is Southern for a long time ago). In that instance I made crosscuts of the appropriate depth on the table saw with an extended fence and a stop to locate the cuts the same for every leg.
Then I used a chisel to split out the waste until I was close to my desired shape. I then pared it down with sharp chisels to the line. I didn't have the concave shape to deal with. If I did I would probably have used a die grinder with rasps to achieve the final shape.

Is it just the picture or is it me.. the picture of the original leg look slanted including the profile.. That may make things more difficult to match..
Nope, not you - it is slanted. This is the front leg on a Morris type chair. On the chair the legs cant back a few degrees making it necessary to match that angle on the foot pad so it will meet the floor square. Fortunately, the footstool I am building to match the chair has legs that are perpendicular to the floor so no angled foot pad needed.

Attachments

• icm_fullxfull.440343833_hd7aq433ql4csw88c8go.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.440343833_hd7aq433ql4csw88c8go.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 10
Thanks Charley!

This is the finished product. There are small differences in each of the feet - this was intentional, to a degree. The chair this stool will be paired with is over 100 years old and was hand made. There are variances in the carvings and the customer was rather specific - he wants the stool to look as though it was made at the same time as the chair.
IMG_1792.JPEG