How would you make this?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
The furniture I mentioned in the “ethics “ thread has this corner detail.
1588507152775.jpeg

I’ve got a couple of ideas on how it is done but I also realize there are brains here on the forum much more attuned to this kind of joinery than mine. So, I’m here to pick those brains for knowledge I don’t have.

Possibly a raised panel bit along the front edge of the top, with the side cut by hand to match the contour.

Or, a bevel cut on the tablesaw, followed by some work with a hand plane. It really shouldn't be all that hard to do.
I was thinking along the same lines for the top - a large panel bit using only the rounding portion. For the sides I was thinking of hand fitting an MDF template then using it as a guide for a router with a flush trim bit.

I was thinking along the same lines for the top - a large panel bit using only the rounding portion. For the sides I was thinking of hand fitting an MDF template then using it as a guide for a router with a flush trim bit.
That'd work, and you could screw up the MDF several times before you get it right, but with no loss of the good wood. :rolleyes:
Sounds like a plan.

For the sides I was thinking of hand fitting an MDF template then using it as a guide for a router with a flush trim bit.

I tend to lean this way when I need more than one of something. Knocking the corner off and shaping to fit isn't a problem. Doing it on each side, on two cases and having them match very closly gets a little troublesome. A template guide resolves that. As Jim points out it also lets you do a few trial runs on scrap to confirm you have what you want and get a feel for how the operation will go.

i agree with jim's assessment and then just a small round over to get the separation at the joint. great on the not having to match color.. one word of caution or reminder, go look at your wood in daylight, and go to the most reliable dealer..

I'm thinking something like this, not using the entire cutting edge, staying away from the flat. Use it on both upper and lower edge of the top and on the outside corner of the sides.
1588708390506.png