Hummm. What Do You Think Of This?

Paul Douglass

My son sent me the link to this video.... I'm a little dubious. I do have a little shop vac that was given to me many years ago... I use it mostly to vac out the cars.... Great little but the foam sleeve that is the filter, easily tears getting it off and on the cage.... plus id I can find them they cost more than they are worth.... I think I will try this in that little guy...

My regular shop vac in my work room has a Dust Deputy in front of it...

Not for me. I'll continue to use the foam.
BTW, HVAC shops sell the foam that's used in Window Air Conditioners by the foot (or yard). A yard of it will make several vac filters.

Having used mine for years on drywall work, I found the shop-vac bags to work the best. Most everything goes in the bag and hardly anything gets to the paper/foam filter. Prior to using them I'd have to stop and clean the filter every 100 sqft or so. With the bag I could vacuum up the entire jobsite and still keep going. For general cleaning, wood chips, and mdf dust I change the bag probably twice a year and hardly ever lose suction. I'm sure the paper towel trick does work fine, mostly what shop-vac's paper pre-filter is anyway.

I find the bags to be pretty convenient and a lot less mess to deal with when emptying it.

The other thing I really like is the little mini dust deputy cyclone. It's amazing to me how little dust/dirt gets past the cyclone into the shop vac.

Last edited:
I re use my (paper) bags. Once they need changing, I'll remove it and cut the end open. Empty that into the trash can (best done outside) then I glue that end back together. Roll it over twice and just use PVA. With cauls on each side you get a seal as good as new. There was a time I made a clamp of sorts. This was a peice of PVC pipe with a slit cut lengthwise and the corners of the cut rounded off. I'd fold the bag over and then slide that clamp over the end. It worked well enough, but I still couldn't get more than 3-4 uses out of a bag, so now I just glue them. Once (only) on each end.....then they get tossed.