I Am Downsizing

Dave Hoskins

Civilization has encroached upon me. My living in the country has gone bye bye. I am surrounded by construction equipment razing the land. My deer friends are totally confused. Zeus, my rat snake has disappeared. The land I am currently on I am leasing and now it has been sold to be like the area around me. I cannot afford to do what I want right now, so I we are going to have to move to the city for a while. And, the pickings are real slim right now. I could not believe the number of scams out there on the real estate market. So, we settled on a house in what appears to be a relatively quiet working folks neighborhood. The shop will be smaller but I think I can work with it. Actually, I will have to work with it. So, hey. So, around the 4th of October I will be off line for a couple of days while the move is in progress. So, it will work out. As Dr. John Carter said on "It Came From Beneath the Sea:, don't we make our own luck?

Dave..Very sorry you have to move out of the country, but at least you will have some shop space at the new ranch. Moved myself last time using Pods and it was no fun. Take care of yourself and watch that back!

Sorry to hear about the having to move. I have the same type of thing happening around me, way to much building going on. That was part of the reason I went up to the White Mountains last week, to check out the area. Hopefully I will be able to move up there this spring.

We moved up here in 2005, we have just under an acre with a vacant lot to the east that is more or less unbuildable, our neighbor to the west lives above us on the hill about a 1000 yards away, all the land to the north belongs to him for his cattle and across the street is a vacant lot of about 7 acres that has a big tobacco barn close to the road and most the land runs up hill behind the barn....
I said at the time we moved in here this was our last move... next move will be to a nursing home or the mortuary.

We used to watch a lot of those HGTV real estate shows and was always floored by the prices folks were paying in other parts of the country, seem that pricing has caught up to our neck of the woods in the past few years. They say it’s going to come back down, but even then I think it’s going to be priced too high.

Sorry to hear about the forced move. Good luck with the smaller shop, but, I'm sure you are adaptable. We are fortunate where we live. My property is just under 2 acres and we are surrounded by trees and woods. There has been some construction in the general area since we moved in 20 years ago but nothing too close. Fortunately, for me, much of the land around here will not perk for a septic system and that has prevented further construction. We would like to see pics of your new shop once you are set up.

It's happening here too. Lots of building going on in the valley.

My biggest gripe is these people are moving in and putting in dusk/dawn security lights they leave on all night. Used to be able to see the milky way out here easy on a dark night. too many lights for a dark night anymore.

I hate all the light pollution around us. Back when I was doing lighting design our localities were mandating public lighting that minimized light pollution and I was glad they did. Even commercial site plans had to abide, but some of the restrictions were ridiculous, like no more than a tenth of a foot candle ten feet outside the property line while the parking space just inside the property line needed 20 foot candles. Dark skies let you see the stars. There"s even a movement supporting them.

I hate all the light pollution around us. Back when I was doing lighting design our localities were mandating public lighting that minimized light pollution and I was glad they did. Even commercial site plans had to abide, but some of the restrictions were ridiculous, like no more than a tenth of a foot candle ten feet outside the property line while the parking space just inside the property line needed 20 foot candles.
a 20 foot candle is a big candle.....o_O :hide:

We bought our 40 acres in '92, next spring neighbors sold 2 acres across the road and a house was built! Numerous people wanted to buy 2-5 acres off of us. Nope, no how. Mom and dad built their retirement home on our farm but it is not intrusive at the least. It is where I will go to retire and become a full time hermit!
My instructions to the kids, pour my ashes on a load of manure and spread me on the farm.

Hope the move goes well Dave.