I bit the bullet

I retired in 2005 at 64... figured I would lose 6% of my SS, but had a small pension from TWA that made up the loss.... I don't work now, but spend a lot of time in my shop trying to wear out my lathe... don't know how I ever had time to actually work.

It's all relative, I guess. Thanks to 9/11, I discovered I became semi-retired in 2001 at age 57. I finally went back to work - kinda - by taking a job as a bench carpenter in a commercial shop. It was a small percentage of what I had made in my desk job, but it also was like being paid to learn more about woodworking. Bobbie and I had managed our finances such that we were debt free. When I got to age 62, it was a decision between how much will I get versus what would I get if I waited. Our decision was to have me take my SS at 62 and we have never regretted it. For others, I can understand why it's good to wait - individual situation.

Several of my co workers said they didn't want to retire because they didn't know what they would do to occupy their time. I couldn't figure out how I had time for work!

Retired? Nah. I think that is a very misused word. I retired in '95, supposedly. I though retired meant you got to sit in the rocker on the porch or sit in the recliner and watch TV and nap. uhuh Nope. Very misused word, it tis!