I feel like I need to re-introduce myself!!!

Jim O'Dell

Hi everyone. Long time no type. I case some of the ole timers wondered where I went, I wanted to let everyone know the past 8 years have been a little rough. Since that time, I've written 11 books in a series, with number 12 started and one more after that to finish the series. One final job change 6 years ago. Change positions within the company 3 years ago this coming February. Semi retired as of last March and only work 3 days a week. (You'd think that would give me lots of time in the shop, but no...) The biggest change, and the main reason I've not been here (and the reason my shop looks like it's being used as a trash dump), is my wife lost her battle with Cancer 3 years ago last August. She fought harder than anyone I've ever known has fought anything like this. While we both knew it was happening and that there were no miracles possible, losing her has made so many things that used to be important, much less so. Things like working in the shop and writing these last 2 books. But my faith tells me I'll see her again one day.

I still have our 2 dogs to take care of and a hose of wonderful friends and co-workers who keep me going. Plus this way to big of a house for 1 person and the upkeep it requires. But I've missed the comradery of talking about woodworking, hearing about your projects, families, and other topics. Not to the point that all is changing to the point that will have me back here a lot more, but I do have a project in my van that will require me to get into the shop to complete most of it. (Amp for the stereo system in the van finally bit the dust after 35 years!!! It used a DIN system instead of RCAs, which means nothing available these days is compatible with it). So hopefully that will require me to visit here a little more. I'll try to post pictures along the way.

Mainly I just wanted to let my ole friends know I haven't dropped completely off the face of the earth. And while I haven't posted in a long time, I think of everyone often. Merry Christmas.

PS. If you would like a Christmas music list to listen to, I have a YouTube play list with 222 entries, so 11 or so hours worth of music. If you download an ad blocker add on to your browser, it will play without advertisements. It's called 'A Capella Christmas 2022' Something I started back in 2014 or 15.

im So sorry to hear about your loss, I know exactly what you have been going through because I too lost my wife of 48 years to cancer just about 2 years ago. It is an emptiness in your heart that never goes away. Just know that we are here for you. We are a family so please let us try to help fill a little bit of the void.

Sorry to hear about your wife Jim, and welcome back. It's good to hear from you. Sounds like you've been keeping yourself very busy.

I'll echo the other guys about your wife...sincere condolences, Jim, but I'm very glad to see you drop by. Sounds like you've been staying busy. Don't let a lack of woodworking keep you from hanging out and chatting with the gang here. There are several of us who aren't doing nearly as much woodworking as we were a few years ago, but that hasn't kept us from being here. ;)

Welcome back Jim, keeping busy is often a way to put your mind on things other than what you don't want it on I find. Hope you can find yourself in the shop and enjoying some of that as you go.

Looking forward to your amp project, I admit to being a bit thin on knowledge in some of those areas so enjoy learning more about them.

Jim, I too am sorry to hear about your wife as well as Don's... I sitting here worrying about mine too... she doesn't have cancer, but a number of other health issue. We've been together for 30 years and life without her here would be a sad and lonely time for me too.

Glad to see you back again.... as others said, it's a good place to visit and chat with friends, even if I've never met any of them, I still feel they are close friends.

Jim, I look forward to your posts again and I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Some of the folks here have left or changed, but we've tried to keep it much the same (ever changing). I recognized your avatar the moment I saw it. Welcome back! :wave: