I have drunk the Vista Kool-Aid...

Lee the 64 bit version is offered as a free upgrade.

Drew - thanks for the info. I think I understand better now.

You say that the 64 bit version is offered as a free upgrade. I'm not looking to upgrade - just interested. How would I get the free upgrade? Do I go to the MS site and download it or must I send a request to MS, or does it come as part of a developer's package, or...?

And thanks for the pointer to NOD32.

Thanks,
Mike

The only problem I have with vista so far is the lack of power toys. One of my favorites for xp was the image resizer: I could take a whole group of photos and reduce them to 800 x 600 in seconds. Haven't figured that out in vista yet...
I use Irfanview (another freebie) for many things, including mass resizing and renaming of images.

Drew - thanks for the info. I think I understand better now.

You say that the 64 bit version is offered as a free upgrade. I'm not looking to upgrade - just interested. How would I get the free upgrade? Do I go to the MS site and download it or must I send a request to MS, or does it come as part of a developer's package, or...?

And thanks for the pointer to NOD32.

Thanks,
Mike

Actually when you buy a retail version of Vista, it comes with a pamplet that gives you instructions to order your 64 bit version DVD online, or by phone. Since you bought your computer with Vista installed the link to order a 64Bit DVD is http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx all you need to pay is shipping and handling, and it should arrive within 2-3 weeks. (mine even came with another CD key becuase they messed up, so i can put it on two computers now :thumb: