I really painted myself into a corner this time.

Keith Thomas

I have had a few problems spraying my toner so far. I had to sand and re finish a few of the drawer fronts for various reasons. had to do one over 4 times. the 4th time was because I was so frustrated on the third time I didn't sand very well. I had to spray the large face Fram with lacquer thinner because I sprayed it on a very humid morning and that coat turned cloudy. fogging it with thinner a few times luckily fixed that problem. And I just re did one of my door panels for a third time because it just didn't look quite a nice as the other one did. Hopefully the third time will be the last lol. The point is I am not very good at finishing and its killing me to spend so much time on it but I don't have any other choice. It's important. But when I get it right the results are great.
For instance all the drawer fronts ( and one door panel so far) all look like this IMG_4099.jpeg
And I am very very happy with them. But something dawned on me yesterday. I found I have to spray JUST right to make sure the contour gets colored evenly. I have one drawer front where its a little light right where the ogee meets the flat edge. Its not to bad and my wife didn't notice till I pointed it out so.......... BUT I realized I was headed for a big problem when I did the door frames. The panel is finished BUT If I put it all together and taped the panel I will not have an optimal angle to make sure the ogee gets colored properly on the frame. And lacquer could puddle on the tape and run into the mortice on the rail. If I screwed up after its all glued I will never be able to sand it clean to fix it. It would be hard enough to sand while it was apart. Glued together the corners would be impossible. It actually kept me up last night thinking about it.
I could only think of one solution. I really hope its a goods one. IMG_4098.jpeg
I taped the Frame together leaving the ogee exposed. It is very good exterior grade painters tape (nothing like duct tape). I have done a fair bit of painting and this stuff never bleeds and it pulls up clean. So I am going to spray it as carefully as possible and it should match the panel. Then I can tape the panel and the frames ogee and the flat area should be a breeze after that. I feel pretty confident (at least I'm telling myself that). I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I don't have any experience or advice to offer on spraying cabinet stuff, but I firmly believe it's worth the extra effort - regardless of how frustrating it can be - to make sure the finish on a project is as good as you can make it. :thumb:
very true. I ended up re doing one of my of my panels FIVE times. Just the flat surface (which you would think is the easiest and probably is) not the ogee part. There was some small noticeable goof up on it each time. The first one I did came out perfect right away. The second one had a minor problem with my repair leading to a bigger problem and just one thing after another. But I am very glad I kept at it.

Keith, when spraying doors , drawers, spray the edging 1st then the fronts, you'll get good results.
Thats is what I do. But one of my problems is the over spray onto the flat surface. Taping off the flat part worked out great in the end. On the frame The OGEE is a perfect match to the panel and all the little edges got covered equally. If I hadn't done it the way I did I don't think I (better people probably could) would have had good results. I was able to get just the angle I needed without the panel being in the way and there was no puddling because there was nothing to puddle against. AND the was the added bonus of having the finish on the ogee so the glue wiped right off. I posted some pictures. I am working at a snails pace here so I still have to let the glue dry (over night because those joints weren't super tight) and sand the flat parts , tape and spray and the doors will be done.

Attachments

• IMG_4105.jpeg
    IMG_4105.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4106.jpeg
    IMG_4106.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 8
Thats is what I do. But one of my problems is the over spray onto the flat surface. Taping off the flat part worked out great in the end. On the frame The OGEE is a perfect match to the panel and all the little edges got covered equally. If I hadn't done it the way I did I don't think I (better people probably could) would have had good results. I was able to get just the angle I needed without the panel being in the way and there was no puddling because there was nothing to puddle against. AND the was the added bonus of having the finish on the ogee so the glue wiped right off. I posted some pictures. I am working at a snails pace here so I still have to let the glue dry (over night because those joints weren't super tight) and sand the flat parts , tape and spray and the doors will be done.
Nice effect.

and here is how they turned out. the center panel on the left isn't actually darker than the one on the right. it all depends on where your looking from. IMG_4108.jpeg