I took the plunge, finally.

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
It’s been a few months since John posted his thread about his new adjustable height workbench. I read all the posts and even tried John’s patience with several PM’s. I vacillated between the HF lift and this bench and even between the 52” and 46” version or drawers and no drawers. I nearly pulled the trigger three times, hesitated, and they were sold out in hours.

I finally made up my mind and placed the order. I went with the 46” as it will be easier to move around the shop and I have a 30 x 60 top I was going to use on a homemade bench that I can attach when extra room is needed. What pushed me over the edge was the ability to adjust the height to match any of my large tool table heights.
33EA7B27-0A8F-44D6-9ED9-EF9E66F795EA.jpeg

What pushed me over the edge was the ability to adjust the height to match any of my large tool table heights.

Congrats. That sealed the deal for me as well. It will vary for different folks but, the range on wheels covered the machines I needed in/out support for. Any use beyond that is gravy. When the last sale price came along I pounced.

Do you see this as an assemble table? What is the lowest height?
Yes, assembly, aux infeed/outfeed for the TS, planer, bandsaw. Material cart, finishing stand, photo stand, and all around horizontal surface for piling stuff on. I hesitate to rip into that attractive top but I am seriously contemplating routing some groves and installing T track.

The table, with casters, adjusts from 29" to 42".

It’s been a few months since John posted his thread about his new adjustable height workbench. I read all the posts and even tried John’s patience with several PM’s. I vacillated between the HF lift and this bench and even between the 52” and 46” version or drawers and no drawers. I nearly pulled the trigger three times, hesitated, and they were sold out in hours.

I finally made up my mind and placed the order. I went with the 46” as it will be easier to move around the shop and I have a 30 x 60 top I was going to use on a homemade bench that I can attach when extra room is needed. What pushed me over the edge was the ability to adjust the height to match any of my large tool table heights.
View attachment 114000
Nice!

You're gonna love it.

Yes, assembly, aux infeed/outfeed for the TS, planer, bandsaw. Material cart, finishing stand, photo stand, and all around horizontal surface for piling stuff on. I hesitate to rip into that attractive top but I am seriously contemplating routing some groves and installing T track.

Consider making a removable axillary top and not compromising the original top.

Consider making a removable axillary top and not compromising the original top.
Considered, but decided to move forward with the compromise. The thought of storing, lifting, attaching another top was more than I wanted to deal with so I went ahead and installed the T tracks. Rockler wants the ridiculous sum of $25 each for the four way intersection of track - that would have been $150 for this table! So I decided to make my own. Not as pretty, perhaps, but just as functional. I drilled and countersunk a few additional holes and it is all held in place with #6 x 3/4" Spax screws. I think they will hold OK but there is always the option of either reinstalling with a little epoxy under the track or through bolts.

I used a couple of pieces of 3/4" MDF and a 1" collar with a 3/4" straight bit for the cross grain dados and an edge guide for the grooves. I hate using edge guides. :bang: Always have a problem keeping everything arrow straight. I very much prefer capturing a collar or bearing between two fences/guides.

Attachments

• IMG_0769.JPEG
    IMG_0769.JPEG
    186.3 KB · Views: 29

you forgot adjustable lunch surface too... :doh:

When I decided to purchase this one thought, reinforced by Jan's opinion, was that my shop is not all that big, won't this get in the way sometimes? Surprisingly the opposite has happened. My shop actually feels larger. It occurred to me a few days ago that with this mobile work space I am now using more of my shop than I was before. I found myself doing tasks in areas of the shop that I did not make good use of before because it was just open area with no work surface. I can now move my projects around, stage lumber, and make use of previously under utilized space. So, in spite of having more in it, my shop now 'feels' larger.