The Gustav Greene tables - Complete!

rennie try painting the sparkles with a fine sharpie and dark dye also any chance of using the other side of this panel? mohawk makes some dye pens that are like a sharpie marker for touch up work

rennie try painting the sparkles with a fine sharpie and dark dye also any chance of using the other side of this panel? mohawk makes some dye pens that are like a sharpie marker for touch up work
The other side is much worse but I didn’t worry much about it since it was the underside. :ROFLMAO:

I might look into the pens.

I have just used some very dark stain and tiny artist brushes to simulate the nearby grain and cover glue spots and epoxy fills. With just a little practice and care the glue will be completely invisible in the finished piece. Little tiny oval dots of dark stain and some very thin slightly wavy lines are all it takes. You may need to get the artist brushes, but you likely already have some very dark stain that will work. If you don't like the result, sand it off and try again. The key to this is to make it look as close to the nearby grain as possible.

I once filled a 1/2" knot hole with epoxy and then painted grain over it like this. To this day, only I know where the epoxy is.

Charley

Success! After scraping and very light hand sanding the sparkles came back when dye was applied. At first this was discouraging but I began to think that the sparkles represented a ‘sheen’ difference and might disappear under a top coat turned out I was right (happens once in a while). I applied two coats of rock hard and no sparkle can be seen. However, I thought the finish did not match well with the satin arm-r-seal so I wiped on two light coats of the arm-r-seal. I’m happy with the results.
D80B8458-7D41-48D9-85FC-0E6344151597.jpeg

Nice work Rennie.

FWIW, when I'm gluing up something like your table top, I first dry clamp the parts and rub a bar of paraffin along the seams. This creates a barrier for any glue squeeze out and works better than masking tape. After the glue has set up I run a card scraper over the surface to pop the glue off and get rid of most of the paraffin. Then I use mineral spirits to get the rest of the paraffin and confirm no remaining glue. It works very well and a box of paraffin is really cheap at the grocery store.