"If only the course had been departed from"

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
“Men’s courses will foreshadow certain ends, to which, if persevered in, they must lead. But if the courses are departed from, the ends will change.”

- Ebenezer Scrooge, ‘A Christmas Carol’.

I reference this not because I wish to draw a parallel between a specific person and Ebenezer himself. No, not at all. Rather because there are times when we must step back and look over our shoulders to see if our paths have altered and are now leading us where we had not intended to go. A small degree of change can multiply over time and distance to leave us wondering how it was we got so far off course.

When I was around 10 years old I met a young fellow who lived on the next block. He and I became fast and close friends - a friendship that lasted through our teens. We were, as the saying goes, thick as thieves. After high school life happened. We drifted apart and went our separate ways. So much happened in the intervening decades that I will never be able to learn even a small portion of what he went through. I do know that, after we rediscovered each other, I learned his life, somewhere along its path, had been shattered and broken and he was left with nothing and no one to keep him company save the demons that haunted him. He was forsaken by family and friends. Not without reason, I am sure, for he had only a fleeting relationship with honesty and a somewhat tenuous connection to reality.

He was near penniless and, after being tossed out by one friend or another over time, was renting a small room from an elderly woman in PA. He eked out a modest income buying vegetable and flower seeds in bulk, counting them out and repackaging them in small quantities, and selling them on Etsy. Such was his life the past few years since we have been reacquainted.

We often chatted on line and occasionally spoke. It was fun to reminisce, even if we seemed at time to have very different recollections of our early years together. I learned only recently that I was likely the only friend he had that would still take his calls. For that I am both thankful and shaken.

He was a prolific poster of memes on Facebook. Sometimes 20 or more in a day. I understand now that he must have had little more than this to fill his empty days. About three weeks ago he stopped posting. I regret that I did not take note of this for over a week. Once it came to my attention I attempted to contact him. When I was not able to raise a response I began checking the local obituaries. Nothing there. At first, this was a good sign, but I still wondered about his lack of response. I dug a little deeper. I found a posting from the local coroner's office that they were seeking information regarding friends and relatives of my friend as he had passed away nearly two weeks earlier with no information with him other than a drivers license. He was lying in a drawer, a candidate for an unmarked grave in potter's field.

Since then I've endeavored to get messages out to his ex wife and children. None of the correspondence has elicited a response. I fear they will all turn their backs. I've asked the coroner to let me know what the outcome of her inquiries are. I don't know what I will do with that info, but I feel I must do something.

"But if the courses are departed from, the ends will change.”

All this long-windedness to bring us back to 1970. Our parting of ways. A parting precipitated by an abrupt change of course on both our parts. Paths leading to two different worlds only to converge again at the very end. I, for one, will miss my friend. My fear is that this path might be rather lonely.

Your last sentence, "my fear is that this path might be rather lonely". If you are talking about yourself here, no, you have all of us to keep you entertained!:cool: I have a friend from school about the same boat. I say hi and talk briefly when I see him. But this is an example of what Mom and I call a fingerprint from God. It is one of those times, you brought a connection for him, hopefully put him in a better frame of mind. I am also sorry for your loss and your friends death. His earthly journey is complete, may God bless his next journey.

Your last sentence, "my fear is that this path might be rather lonely". If you are talking about yourself here, no, you have all of us to keep you entertained!:cool:
I could have been more clear - sorry. The path I speak of is the one occupied by those who will miss him. Not many of us walking that path I'm afraid.

Sorry to hear of your loss, Rennie. No doubt you brought some goodness into his life before it ended.

I lost contact with all of my high school friends because of my choice to move away from Waco to San Antonio for electronics training. After training, I took a position as a broadcast TV transmitter engineer and moved to New Braunfels. Several students at the school lived in NB, so I made a whole new group of friends.

When I moved back to Waco eight years later, I had no contact information for some people with whom I was friends in high school. I ultimately learned about a few folks; most were doing OK to quite well. However, there were two "boys" I ran around with that I never was able to locate or learn about what happened to them. They were overall good guys, but somewhat underprivileged (I was a boring middle class kid) so I could only speculate about what might have happened to them. I fear they ended up on the wrong side of everything.

On a positive note, thanks to a woman who became the self-appointed "mother hen" for our Class of '62, she brought most of us together via email initially, then on Facebook. Jennie lived two blocks from my parent's house when we were in high school but she and I never became an "item" back then. I asked her about the two guys but she didn't remember them and had no information on them. I hope they had good lives.

Condolences. A challenging experience to be sure. I have experienced a few unexpected changes in the trajectory of my life. I was not one to have long range plans in my youth. A chance acceptance of an invitation to a get together with friends from times-gone-by led me to my current path. I am ever grateful and am keenly aware of how we are all one step or one misstep from very different roads.

Rennie, I think you could have another career as a writer. That was one very well written, reminisence?

I'm sorry about your friend. I often think about forks in the road, paths not taken. I may not have always taken the right path, but I'm not unhappy with my choices at this point. There are some folks I know that have taken other paths, and I do think about them from time to time.

My condolences to you, and thanks for the read.

My condolences, Rennie. As has been said, hopefully you can find some comfort in the fact that you two were able to reconnect towards the end. I suspect he valued that connection more than you can imagine.

One of my friends from my high school days ended up being my first roomate as well as the drummer in the band I toured with in the '80s. Mike was one of my brothers from a different mother. After our band days, his life took several steps in the wrong direction, and we all lost contact with him. Nearly 20 years later our keyboardist Steve received an email from a lady in Austin TX, asking if he knew Mike. She was part of a church group giving bottled water to homeless people, and she'd struck up a conversation with him. He was living on a bench at a bus stop. He'd talked about our old band, and through the power of Google she'd managed to track Steve down. We were all able to reconnect with him via the lady in Austin, but before long we got the news that Mike was in the hospital with tongue cancer. (Likely the result of years of drinking and drugs.) Steve was able to go to Texas to see him at the hospital, and he passed away there on January 1st, 2010. He left behind a wife and two kids (both of whom are now adults) who would have loved to reconnect with him, but it never ended up happening. Each of us in the band went through our own trials with various substances; Mike was the only one of us who was unable to beat them.

Rennie, sorry to hear about your friend... it's hard to lose a friend, but sounds like you did give him some comfort in his last years.

Bill, I think you mentioned in another post that you were from Waco... I grew up in Freestone County, graduated from Teague High School in Teague, Texas.
We would have been in different football leagues, we were 17AA and played West, and another town near Waco... our biggest rival was Mexia.... I did spend one semester in Corsicana who did play Waco high school.... I think if we could keep Waco's score under 100 we felt like it was a win.

for those that might want to connect with your high school friends, try this website.... https://www.classmates.com/
I don't do much with it, but a number of my old classmates are there....

I will second the bit about being a great writer.

Also condolences for the loss of your friend.

The other side of the story is of one heart to be reaching out to a lonely heart.
I am a bit of a loner myself with some, but not a lot of friends. I am not like your friend, but I do know people like that.
When some person reaches out, like you, it is a very very special thing to the lonely person.

It is far too often that people do not show compassion to others in need.

Rennie, you are a model that we all should look towards as we go thru life and look around us to ALL the faces we see.
Some are in need!

Do we pass them off as a problem - or - do we try to help them?

You - my friend - are a helper. Your reward is in a place I cannot mention due to strict regulations.

First, thank you for all of the kind words. I did not do anything special. No more than anyone here would have done for an old friend. Fate insured that there was someone there at the end. It just happened to be me. For this I am thankful.

Condolences. A challenging experience to be sure. I have experienced a few unexpected changes in the trajectory of my life. I was not one to have long range plans in my youth. A chance acceptance of an invitation to a get together with friends from times-gone-by led me to my current path. I am ever grateful and am keenly aware of how we are all one step or one misstep from very different roads.
I'm sure all here can look back and recognize some of those pivotal points in our life where we, unknowingly, came to a fork in the road that would have repercussions that would change destination, for better or worse. Many such choices are very clear in my mind.

Rennie, I think you could have another career as a writer. That was one very well written, reminisence?

I'm sorry about your friend. I often think about forks in the road, paths not taken. I may not have always taken the right path, but I'm not unhappy with my choices at this point. There are some folks I know that have taken other paths, and I do think about them from time to time.

My condolences to you, and thanks for the read.
😊 You are too kind and flattering - and thank you.

My condolences, Rennie. As has been said, hopefully you can find some comfort in the fact that you two were able to reconnect towards the end. I suspect he valued that connection more than you can imagine.

One of my friends from my high school days ended up being my first roomate as well as the drummer in the band I toured with in the '80s. Mike was one of my brothers from a different mother. After our band days, his life took several steps in the wrong direction, and we all lost contact with him. Nearly 20 years later our keyboardist Steve received an email from a lady in Austin TX, asking if he knew Mike. She was part of a church group giving bottled water to homeless people, and she'd struck up a conversation with him. He was living on a bench at a bus stop. He'd talked about our old band, and through the power of Google she'd managed to track Steve down. We were all able to reconnect with him via the lady in Austin, but before long we got the news that Mike was in the hospital with tongue cancer. (Likely the result of years of drinking and drugs.) Steve was able to go to Texas to see him at the hospital, and he passed away there on January 1st, 2010. He left behind a wife and two kids (both of whom are now adults) who would have loved to reconnect with him, but it never ended up happening. Each of us in the band went through our own trials with various substances; Mike was the only one of us who was unable to beat them.
My friend was the lead guitar in our band back in the late 60's. Of the five of us only two remain. rhythm guitar died 2 years ago. He led a good life and left behind a son and wife that truly loved him. He, however, was haunted by some of his actions in the past. They shaped his relationships and burdened him tremendously. The drummer passed 4 years ago. A late casualty of the Vietnam era, he suffered through addictions and trauma that I can't begin to understand. He, too, died alone at 67, pushing away those that loved him. Fortunately, they persisted and they were there for him even though he would not acknowledge them.

Rennie, sorry to hear about your friend... it's hard to lose a friend, but sounds like you did give him some comfort in his last years.

Bill, I think you mentioned in another post that you were from Waco... I grew up in Freestone County, graduated from Teague High School in Teague, Texas.
We would have been in different football leagues, we were 17AA and played West, and another town near Waco... our biggest rival was Mexia.... I did spend one semester in Corsicana who did play Waco high school.... I think if we could keep Waco's score under 100 we felt like it was a win.

for those that might want to connect with your high school friends, try this website.... https://www.classmates.com/
I don't do much with it, but a number of my old classmates are there....
A new connection blossoming? (y)
I will second the bit about being a great writer.

Also condolences for the loss of your friend.

The other side of the story is of one heart to be reaching out to a lonely heart.
I am a bit of a loner myself with some, but not a lot of friends. I am not like your friend, but I do know people like that.
When some person reaches out, like you, it is a very very special thing to the lonely person.

It is far too often that people do not show compassion to others in need.

Rennie, you are a model that we all should look towards as we go thru life and look around us to ALL the faces we see.
Some are in need!

Do we pass them off as a problem - or - do we try to help them?

You - my friend - are a helper. Your reward is in a place I cannot mention due to strict regulations.
Again, thanks for the praise, though I feel it undeserved. We all do what we can, when we can. Only circumstances and fate can determine if those actions will be worthy of praise or scorn.

Yep, born and raised in Waco. Dad and Mom both went to Waco High. I went there through my Junior year, then opted for the new air-conditioned high school (Richfield) my senior year. I could have - and maybe should have - attended WHS as a senior, but non-hot classrooms were too much of a draw. WHS was a real powerhouse in football, as was Moore High (in their league) until politics got involved (and I'll say no more about that here).

When I returned to Waco in 1970, I went to work for the cable TV company. After a time there, I took a position in 1977 with Warner Cable based in Stephenville, TX from which we managed and operated the systems in Mexia, Teague, and Fairfield. In 1980, I transferred to the Warner operation in Houston. I never lived any farther from Waco until 1998 when I took a position with a manufacturer based in Bradenton, FL.

UPDATE - My friend passed from natural causes on July 30. To the best of my knowledge there will be no ceremony. The family (thank goodness) is making arrangements for cremation and the plan, so far, is to have his ashes spread out in the ocean. In an earlier time he was an avid salt water fisherman and always remained a fan of the sport.

I'm breathing a little easier today as things are seeming to work themselves out.