I'm a bone head!

I'm making a box. I decided to use two small rare earth magnets (around 3/16) as a "latch" between the top and the base. Being the knuckle head that I am I CA'd one of them in backwards. How would you get one of them out so you can flip it around? I was going to try acetone first. The hole is ever so slightly drilled oversized.

Well, the acetone did soften the CA glue but not enough to get the magnet out. I tried a punch with the hopes of cracking it and maybe digging it out but I didn't have any luck. Then I tried drilling it with the plan of screwing a screw in and pulling it out. No luck, apparently neodymium magnets are as hard a superman's kneecap! I broke the bit and punched a nice hole right beside the magnet. I finally just took an awl and dug the sucker out. I then cut a slice at the TS just to the depth of the magnet. I had to recut the hinge mortises and drill a new hole for the magnet, but I fixed it.

Don't ask about the hinge mortises though. Sometimes I cut them and I think man I've got this. Then other times I cut them and think good God these are awful! The second ones are somewhere in the middle.

Sorry it turned into more of a chore than you expected. Some of the work I'm the most proud of was done as the result of prior mistakes. ;)

never used a pair of them john?

No, I made swiveling/spinning lids on turned lidded bowls. The lids spin horizontally on a hidden nail. Didn't want the connection to be so hard (the girls were 3-5 years old) that they would have a hard time opening them. In fact, they have been asking for more, maybe take some pictures of new ones turned this summer if I get to that.

Last edited:
never used a pair of them john?
They are small so I was worried about the pull if I only used one and a piece of metal. If they would've been bigger I'd have used a nail or screw. I did the second time what I should have done the first. I stuck the mags together then shut the lid and pushed the other one into the hole. After I did it that way I remembered that's how I'd done it before!

I like the rare earth magnets for toys, like cars or trucks, that have a top that can come off. glued in, its never coming out and the kids can take the top off and on as they love to fiddle around with that and then it goes and holds in place. Ive used a few on small boxes. I also used some on the hotwheels garage I made for my grandson.