Im not in trouble

allen levine

Ive been killing my wrist with cutting so many plastic pvc birds. Gave out around 36-40 as of yesterday. My right wrist is swelling and I need a break.
Im sitting outside and I see my neighbor across the street has happy graduation signs and ballons,and I know his dauhter graduated college. I saw her and her dad sitting out there, I sparked up a conversation, not the party she expected, with all her friends and relatives.....so to cheer her up I went in, looked around for one of the trinket jewerly boxes I make, only nice one I had was the one I gave elen a while back, so I emptied elen's stuff and wrapped it up and gave it to the kid.
shes a beautiful child, she was so happy, she said she loves homemade crafted stuff, she really loved the box, and complimented me.....all good. I felt good, Ive been making alot of people feel good during the shutdown.

then I went inside and told Elen. Indian giver was brought up, I promised elen I will be out there week cutting up the remainder of Jims block of spalted maple to make her a box, and Id give her a choice of 3 boxes.

not so sure she was thrilled, but anything in my house is always available as giftware....I thought she understood that.

once again, thanx jim this will be the third box Im getting out of that spalted maple.

Im not sleeping in the garage or on the couch tonight.

Good on you, Allen! (and apologies to Elin)
Glad to hear you're getting so much out of the spalted maple. I'm sure Elin's 'replacement' box will be even nicer than the one you gave away.

At my house my wife has dibs on anything I make unless I specifically say it is for someone else. I can't think of anyone I would rather have my work than her. That does not guarantee that "someone else" will get it if she really wants it. The second and most sure way to guarantee that she will not get something I made is to tell her that it was a commission. So far she has not confiscated any commissions but i have seen her eye some of them greedily.

It is best to get those things designated for other people out of the house as quickly as possible.

My philosophy about my wife collecting my work is one of appreciation. As long as she holds the purse strings I am happy to supply her with whatever she wants.

My philosophy about my wife collecting my work is one of appreciation. As long as she holds the purse strings I am happy to supply her with whatever she wants.
My philosophy too... when Dianne and I married 28 years ago, I handed her my paycheck and told her if we go broke it's her fault.

Also tell people I keep all my money in her pocket book so that if we get mugged, I don't get hurt. :rofl:

ryan, if you figure out how to cut the pvc pipe without a jigsaw, Im all ears.
Jim-like the first pieces I used, I was so careful using the bandsaw to slice it down(Im not good with bandsaw, actually horrible not sure why, I just dont get it I guess, a reason I was looking foward to larry being here, actually supposed to be here right now, I was going to have him do a once over on my band saw to make sure everything is adjusted perfectly, anyway,moving on), I barely plane it as to not rip it out.....but I ruined one piece, but had a couple extra....its beautiful stuff.

larry-you know she wasnt thrilled, but I wanted to brighten up the girls face across the street, all the parties they plan, the friends, the family, and now nothing. Im an old man, I can take dissapointment, being locked down is tuff, but Im not college aged and imagine this must be horrible for kids graduating college without job interviews, no friends to hang out with, no college graduation to share with family, etc.........
I was so looking foward to seeing you and randi, and my wood rack is now just about depleted, so shortly, Im going to go up to the bronx and make an order. I looked into renting a pickup or minvan and thought when we drive out there later in summer(Oh boy I hope we can), I would schlep some wood home myself. but renting a van or pickup, its expensive, and I enjoy road trips with the top down, so we still hope to get out to visit you guys, and its going to be rosenzwieg lumber for sapele, cherry, and walnut.

on another note, I cut out 3 box bottoms today and glued up two of them already, so elens new box will be replaced soon, and I will not take this one back. I also managed to get two more birds painted,

the school nurse, where elen worked, came over today, I told her she could have one, and get to pick one out. this was more of a friend gift than a nurses gift.

I have 5 birds painted and finished, 3 made but not painted. after that, Im done for a while with them. If I get anymore nurses addresses, they will have to wait a bit.

My daughter is due in september, and I want to get my hands on some 6 inch or even 8 inch pvc if I can find it and make a giant stork for her front lawn for when the baby comes.
will hang a blanket with a baby in it. at least thats my idea. have to get someone to go to home depot for me, or some plumbing supply to find large diameter pvc. I just hope I can cut it with a jigsaw blade.

I didnt take a picture, Ill add it tomorrow, I made 3 boxes, gave elen her choice of box, top, colored ceramic knob, and which metal feet. She chose the last of Jims spalted maple box with a purple heart top with spalted maple panel.
I think Im going to do a little turning this weekend and next week.
Id like to build myself a new dining room table, but I want to pick out the lumber, not the yard people, so Ill wait until NY gets to phase 3.
got enough turning things and small projects to keep me busy

My philosophy too... when Dianne and I married 28 years ago, I handed her my paycheck and told her if we go broke it's her fault.

Also tell people I keep all my money in her pocket book so that if we get mugged, I don't get hurt. :rofl:
Chuck, it is very simple the way my wife explained it to me. She said, "What is mine is mine and what is yours is mine also."

We were married almost 50 years ago. We were in college at the time and my allowance was 35 cents per day. That would get me a cup of coffee and a pastry at the student union. I had a meal card for lunch. I rode my big old Schwinn Sports Tourer back and forth to school about 5 miles. I had a bag on the front and a rack on the back that I used to carry a canvas book bag. Gasoline was only 30 cents per gallon when we got married but quickly rose to more than 50 cents per gallon. While I was in graduate school she taught during the school year and worked as a lifeguard during the summer. I took odd jobs and we got along just fine. A night out consisted of a movie at $1.00 each after a meal at the Burger King near our apartment. Young and foolish but in love.

The last time I tried to sign a legal document they checked it against my wife's signature card.

my son is a computer geek, IT engineer not sure exactly what he does, but he gets paid well. we are currently starting to look for a home with a second home on the property for us to move into. this way we can just turn the key and go to florida during the winter, and never worry about our house. I think if we find a place together, my son would love to take on a project like that, some huge cnc machine, hes mentioned it before, he would help me build one, but I told him no, you would build it and I would watch. It took me 3 years to figure out how to work my stackable CD player in my 2001 jeep, cant imagine Ill be able to figure out how to use a cnc machine in this lifetime. but if we share a common garage, and hes up to it, Im all for it.

They aren't too bad once you figure out the basics. Software is a big part of using one. I know several folks that have bought them and never use them since they can't seems to sit down and learn how to design things to make on them. There are a ton of designs you can buy and just use though with a few simple modifications.