Insomnia project

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Lately I've been doing a bit of work on my acoustic guitar and singing, and I find it helpful to use my PA system for practice so I can hear myself better. So I sit on a stool in front of a microphone stand with a tablet loaded with song sheets and a blue tooth foot operated page turner. Well, I'm getting tired of the batteries running down on those and having to have a power strip loaded with wall warts to make things work.

So I ordered one of these:
minipowerstrip.PNG

And since I woke up at 2:30 for no apparent reason, I got that bool tools extension running and played around with it and created this to clamp it onto the mic stand and clean up the cords running from it to some degree. Currently running on the printer right now.

The bool tools came in real handy for 'routing' the mic stand through the 2 components. I also created a screw component and used that to drill and countersink some screw holds to clamp the 2 parts together.

minipowerstrip mic stand.PNG

Excellent!

Will you just run something like self-tapping screws into the box to secure the outlet thingummy? I saw a video the other day of a guy putting threaded inserts into his 3D printed projects using a hot soldering iron.

Yep, Just some 1-1/4" #8 robertson screws. I used some guides to line up the screws when I had those 2 components in place, grouped the screws, then used 2 trim operations to get the holes in the right places in the top and bottom.
minipowerstrip mic stand 2.PNG

Looks good. So what foot switch are you using? I have a use for something like that actually.

I'm also using the Fredo Round corner plugin. I typically save a copy of my drawing with "_rounded" . appended for the round edge version. I found if I need to edit/resize the part, it's easier to do on the square edge copy, re-round the corners, and overwrite the _rounded file again.

I typically save a copy of my drawing with "_rounded" . appended for the round edge version. I found if I need to edit/resize the part, it's easier to do on the square edge copy, re-round the corners, and overwrite the _rounded file again.

You might have a look at FredoCorner. It has more rounding options and a repair tool to remove rounded edges. It does some things differently that Fredo6 Round Corner so I keep both of them going.

Looks good. So what foot switch are you using? I have a use for something like that actually.

I'm also using the Fredo Round corner plugin. I typically save a copy of my drawing with "_rounded" . appended for the round edge version. I found if I need to edit/resize the part, it's easier to do on the square edge copy, re-round the corners, and overwrite the _rounded file again.

I usually just make a copy of the components, 'make unique' then go ahead and apply the corners.

You might have a look at FredoCorner. It has more rounding options and a repair tool to remove rounded edges. It does some things differently that Fredo6 Round Corner so I keep both of them going.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Excellent! I assume you mean from the 3D Warehouse? I would have taken an actual screw that I planned to use for that and I would have created a sort of pilot drill very slightly larger in diameter than the minor diameter of the screw and with the countersink for the head. Then I would have use that to trim the box and cover components to create the holes. No matter. You've got it now, though.

Excellent! I assume you mean from the 3D Warehouse? I would have taken an actual screw that I planned to use for that and I would have created a sort of pilot drill very slightly larger in diameter than the minor diameter of the screw and with the countersink for the head. Then I would have use that to trim the box and cover components to create the holes. No matter. You've got it now, though.
That's exactly what I should have done, lol. Mistakes were made, it was early.

Often for things like that I'll print up some test holes to make sure things are the right size. There can be variations from the specified size due to calibration issues, over/under extrusion, and shrinkage of the plastic once cool. I wasn't too worried about this item and went ahead and went for it, figuring what I didn't model correctly could be fixed with a drill bit.

I did do a test on the clamping part on the pipe and on the fit of the power strip into the shell. Basically small outlines that print quickly to let me fit to the part to make sure it fits. If that was off, I would have had to reprint the entire object. And sometimes I do end up reprinting things and going through several iterations.

Looks great! And very handy, too. :thumb:

One other thing I like about that conference table outlet is that it has a long (almost 10 foot) power cord. I may have to get one of those and make myself a floor box to put by my pedal board. I could power my tablet (AKA our mixing console), my stage monitor, and my little floor fan in one neat package.

Last edited: