Interesting Approach to Backup Generators

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I've never had nor used a generator during a power outage, but this looks like a pretty cool approach. Power supplied by battery/solar/on-demand gas or propane generator.

This YouTuber, Casey LaDelle, runs a one-man towing and recovery company in Bend Oregon. His content covers a wide range of stuff from towing to camping with his family. He's done previous videos on the EcoFlow battery pack and solar panels (including powering a canoe with solar) and EcoFlow is now one of his sponsors. That said, he's very adamant about not taking sponsorships from companies whose products don't measure up to their claims. (He's done videos in the past showing products companies have tried to get him to endorse, and showed exactly why he didn't accept their sponsorships.)

I think it was the 8 bit guy on youtube that also just did a review on the batter/solar versions, he had two EcoFlows tied together using their 220v adapter to run his "studio", including the mini splits. His were charged from solar panels, but they can be charged from other sources too.

I think it was the 8 bit guy on youtube that also just did a review on the batter/solar versions, he had two EcoFlows tied together using their 220v adapter to run his "studio", including the mini splits. His were charged from solar panels, but they can be charged from other sources too.
I like the addition of a smart on-demand generator. That's a game-changer for battery power sources.

I came across a gassifier video the other day, where they can run a generator from the gas produced burning wood. I found the pdf file he mentions in the plans. Certainly would be something to try if you had the time and need.

I watch a lot of OFF GRID videos.

There are lots of people using stuff like that on some larger scale scenerios.
Very tempting.

I was thinking about one but we almost never loose power.
Police station is 2 tenths of a mile away and we are on that power feed.

The problem I have with it is that you need to fully cycle them ever few months or at least once a year.
I would not keep up with the schedule.

Aside from that they seem to be a great option.

I have seen the ecco flow battery quit a few times on homestead videos on ytube. Seems they work quit well. Recharge from solar, car plug in, or 120 house current. Pricey but if they saved your frozrn bacon it would be worth the investment. Also good for camping power and small cabins.
David

A side note. If you're in fire country propane is a lot better option than gas for emergency generator power for water pumps because it's less likely to go up in flames with a boom (and you can make a small/simple fire bunker for one pretty easily..).

You can make a gas generator more resilient (fire screens, etc..) but there's always risk of old spills, etc.. being a problem and the fuel tank HAS to breath some to work (propane otoh can be effectively a closed system on the fuel side).

I've seen a lot of ecoflow promo's, and while they do look pretty decent based on the amount they're spending on ad $ I'm going to bet their not the most cost effective solution in the space at this point :D If they were they wouldn't have to promote as hard..

I have seen the ecco flow battery quit a few times on homestead videos on ytube.
I've seen a lot of ecoflow promo's, and while they do look pretty decent based on the amount they're spending on ad $ I'm going to bet their not the most cost effective solution in the space at this point :D If they were they wouldn't have to promote as hard..
I see a lot of "influencers" on social media peddling the free products that they receive and am disappointed on how they have sold their soul. Although I might like their You-Tube channel, I find myself not influenced to buy what they are selling. I have seen some of them equip their shops with equipment that is way outside the what is financially feasible for their viewers. They start small building items with equipment that reasonable could be in any dedicated DIY shop and then after getting popular switching over to free equipment that the average Joe will never be able to afford. After a while you begin to realize you are just watching a commercial.

The y tubers are making a living at producing these videos, so all the free stuff helps to that end. I have learned just to space over the commericals when they begin to push a product. Yes they have some tools, equipment that is beyond the regular DIY person but still fun to watch them operate. I also realize the commerilization of the whole deal. Still like the goats and chickens.
David

I came across a gassifier video the other day, where they can run a generator from the gas produced burning wood. I found the pdf file he mentions in the plans. Certainly would be something to try if you had the time and need.
There is a guy on the History channel program Mountain Men by the name of Eustace Conway who has built a gasifier in the bed of his old truck that supplies the fuel for it. He carries around a few sticks of wood and periodically feeds the engine. I don't know what to make of it. It seems like magic to me.

I have seen news reports that fuel shortages are going to be so severe in Europe that cars may not be able to be driven and all fuel reserves will be used for heating. I wonder if gasifiers will be in vogue over there.