What's new

Is This Chest Veneered?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Someone posted these pics on Facebook of a cedar chest that was left in a house he bought, and he wants to refinish it. Someone else warned him that the wood has a veneer, and to expect to need to replace the veneer if he refinished it. I'm not convinced it has any veneer, but I offered to show the pics here and get a second opinion from guys who know more than I do. This photos are not real clear, but they should give you an idea what he's up against. So...what do you think? Veneered or not?

Richard Baker Chest 1.jpg

Richard Baker Chest 2.jpg
Richard Baker Chest 4.jpg

Richard Baker Chest 3.jpg

Richard Baker Chest 5.jpg

Last edited:

larry merlau

i would say yes it is, the top shows different grain pattern than what shows underneath.. look at the grain where stamp is vrs the outside. it could be thick veneer but its going in different directions on the top vrs underneath

My wife had one very similar (Lane Waterfall) and the outside was veneered. It wasn't very thick because the veneer rolled over the curve at the front of the lid.

Last edited:

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Very similar to one my wife's grandparents have in their house. Different manufacture, but is veneered as well. Still has the original marketing info attached too.
2019-12-14 13.14.48.jpg 2019-12-14 13.14.39-1.jpg 2019-12-14 13.14.22.jpg 2019-12-14 13.14.26.jpg 2019-12-14 13.14.32.jpg

Last edited:

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, guys. :thumb: When I posted the pics I also noticed the grain on the inside of the lid didn't match the outside, but decided to run with my theory to see if y'all were paying attention, lol.

The guy who owns the chest has joined the forum now, and I suspect he'll have more questions about how to refinish it. :)

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Very similar to one my wife's grandparents have in their house. Different manufacture, but is veneered as well. Still has the original marketing info attached too.
View attachment 108940 View attachment 108943 View attachment 108939 View attachment 108941 View attachment 108942
Come to think of it, my mom had a very similar cedar chest. I think my sister has it now (or perhaps one of her sons).

Hey Richard, I know you had some more refinishing questions. feel free to ask away if you're seeing this post. :)