is this the worst season for bugs?

allen levine

I dont know what is going on, but its become impossible to enjoy sitting outside the past month or so.
And to make things worse, the bugs landing on me trying to make friends are the size of small birds.
is it just up here in northeast, long island? or is it everywhere this year? never experienced anything like this.
crawlers, flyers, creepers, every single type, incredible this year.

I dunno, most of the bugs out here aren't to bad so far. Except the earwigs. We've had a biblical infestation of earwigs that have consumed everything in their path and then some. Unbelievable numbers of earwigs. So many earwigs.

Our biggest problem is grasshoppers and locusts. They not only land on ya, but the locusts start biting. When we go out at night on the deck with the poochies, I don't turn any lights on. Makes it more bearable. I need more roadrunners and bats. Yeah, I like bats. Cool critters. Aggressive only on bugs and such.

At the farm we're finding there is a balance in nature. First it was wasps and mud dobbers, those got power washed away, then spiders took over the front porch. I sprayed for them and now it's flies, everywhere. May just be the times of the year, but going to have to try and balance it out and try to get along with all of them. Also did mosquito dunks in the stock tanks and ponds, those did seem to help quite a bit.

At the farm we're finding there is a balance in nature.

We've had pretty good luck with "normal" infestations in the long run with mostly organic controls and habitat management. A lot of the wasps are your little friends, we have a massive collection of the little predatory wasps out front on some of the catnip and other flowering plants. They also eat a ton of aphids and other undesirables. Planting predatory bug attractants (dill, fennel, and related, apparerntly catnip helps also, plus marigold & zinia deter a lot of bugs and provides food for good ones). If you try to eradicate to much you're left with an infestation of whatever those were feeding on.

The one kind of wasp I won't really tolerate to much are the meat bees, I usually trap those if they start hanging around the patio to much.. I've had good luck with leaving some BBQ chicken bones out whereever they are and then moving the bones slowly closer to the trap over an afternoon (don't put them in the trap right away), around 9-10 at night THEN put the bones in the trap. The next morning they'll come out to resume the feast and by then the whole nest knows about it so they show up en-force and all enter the trap as a unit. I've pretty much filled those yellow wasp traps in one day with this trick. Most of the other wasps though are garden friends so I leave them alone unless they're actively on a building. Oh and I guess the one species of super aggressive evil ground dwelling bees we have here.. those get sprayed because they're just evil (I usually don't get sick from stings but 6 of those and I was out for the afternoon).

Generally flies means there's fly habitat, so I guess figure out what that is and how to manage it. I had a bit of a fly situation on the compost a month or so ago when I slacked at managing it but once I turned and topped it properly that went entirely away.

For the stagnant ponds a teaspoon or so of veg oil applied weekly (or more often if the water moves much) works about as well as a lot of the mosquito dunks.

Earwigs though, we've gone fully medieval on those and have been putting out in-ground water traps (tupperware filled 1/2 with water, soy sauce, veg oil), spinosads spray, sluggo plus spinosad bait, diatomaceous earth dusting.. hand picking, cardboard traps (wet, leave overnight, burn in the morning).

We also had a terrible infestation of the invasive California Grey Digger ground squirrels (which are non native here and wreak havoc on the native habitat). I had quite a trapping adventure removing those back to at least the perimeter of the main parts of the property. I made a bunch of trap boxes to keep out dogs, skunks, children, deer? and use conibear 110 traps inside of those which worked really well. I'm kind of half live & let live but eat my cabbage and bean crop and the war is on.

I don't know if it's everywhere, but that's way it is around our place. I'm guessing the warm (ish) winter we had didn't kill as many overwintering bugs as normal, and then the unusual spring/summer weather compounded the problem.

Our black fly season wasn't too bad this year. Deer flies have taken over in force though. Those little buggers look and fly just like F-14 fighter jets. They fly around your head and try and bite the back of your head. Mosquitoes were not bad but recent rain has brought them back.

Biggest problem we've had so far has been the Japanese Beetles... they were eating my rose bushes back to the stems... sprayed the bushes and looks like they beetles went elsewhere.... one year we planted runner beans in the garden... the beetles got more beans than we did.
We do have a nest of red wasps in the wall on the back porch... since we have had the porch leveled and re-attached to the house that seemed to close up most of the gap, haven't seen as many of them... haven't had much problem with mosquitoes this year... they are literally no-see-m's you don't know they are about until they bite you.... I do have to change the dog's water every day or so... you'll see the wigglers in the tray. I try to not allow any standing water around the place.

I dont know what is going on, but its become impossible to enjoy sitting outside the past month or so.
And to make things worse, the bugs landing on me trying to make friends are the size of small birds.
is it just up here in northeast, long island? or is it everywhere this year? never experienced anything like this.
crawlers, flyers, creepers, every single type, incredible this year.

FLYS - worst I have seen in many years, if ever.

I also do NOT like this HOT weather. High 80's to almost 100 with humidity from 50% (not too bad) up into the 70's to 90's most of the time.

All I can say it ---- Cheer up, October is coming.

Our black fly season wasn't too bad this year. Deer flies have taken over in force though. Those little buggers look and fly just like F-14 fighter jets. They fly around your head and try and bite the back of your head. Mosquitoes were not bad but recent rain has brought them back.
Pretty much the same here.

We had a horrible early season with ticks. A short step outside could get 10-15 on me. Suddenly, it stopped. Too hot for them? Dunno. My wife complains about the Japanese beetles eating her roses and other plants. Put out traps for them that seem to be working.

Funny about bees. I don't know where the hive is, but I keep hummingbird feeders out with fresh nectar all the time for honey bees. That way they'll pollinate my pepper and tomato plants. Of course the hummingbirds help themselves all through the day. The only wasp that I have a problem with are those BIG KILLER WASPS, some know them as ground wasps. Things are really big. I don't see them often but I give them a wide berth. Same as bumble bees. Red wasps I get along with, especially since they eat fire ants. They don't bother me, even in close proximity, and I don't bother them. Eat them thar ants, fellers!

Bumble bees aren't all that prone to sting, but they do carry a whollop... back in the '50's we lived in west Texas, Wilbarger County... we were share cropping for a fellow that had a farm with a big ol' farmhouse in the middle of the cotton fields that we lived in... a nest of Bumble bees set up in the overhead of the front porch.... my dad walked through one day and one popped him in the back of the head.... he sent mom and the kids on to town while he stayed behind and tore the porch overhead down and wiped out the nest. I didn't see the nest myself, but I saw my dad stumble like someone hit him in the back of the head when the bee popped him.